Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 1970 falcon that I have put a late model 5.0 motor in and am trying to use the T-10 that I have my problem is to make the trans fit the motor I had to pick up a bellhousing out of a 65 mustang (C5AA)I am using a 5.0 flywheel with the old style starter and the bendex will not hit the flywheel I have been told that all flywheels in 65 were 157 tooth if anyone can help please let me know thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
You need to match the flywheel to the engine, not the bellhousing. The late model 5.0's use a 50 oz flywheel. Are you sure you can't fit a late-model bellhousing to your tranny?

·
Registered
57 Posts
This will prove interesting! I am in the process of assembling a 87 5.0 to put in my 63 Falcon. I am also going to use my T10. I have it in now with a 65 289 block, I also have a toploader and bellhousing from a 73 Mustang. I will have to check the spacing! Maybe you just need a later model starter with a longer nose?. My problem is going to be the Z bar. No mount on later engine block.
I know there are 2 different starters , one for stick one for automatic.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Let's try to sort this out a little.

kasper6951- You should have a 164 tooth flywheel. In 65 they all were 157 I think. Try a starter for that sized fly with a stick! I think it will work with the 65 bell.

jerrys63- The clutch pivot shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most Mustang houses and maybe Windsor-Fox have a bolt on adapter to run a late model block with stock linkage. I would run the Toploader if you can. I know it's more money to get the correct tailhousing and shifter, but it is way better/stronger than a T-10.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
What tail shaft do I need? Can I reverse the shifter or use the one from the T10? My driveshaft probably won't work either.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Jerry,

I sent you an email with a picture of the correct tailhousing. I forgot to tell you the case on ebay is not a direct bolt to your later housing. It is for an early 5 Bolt setup.

You could use a lakewood scattershield to mate them up or swap the main gearbox cases.

Or if no one bids on the trans, contact the seller to see if you can buy just the tailhousing.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts