Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what radiator hoses to get for a late model 5.0 in an early mustang. I know it has been talked about on this site before but I did a search and cannot find it. I have a stock radiator that has been modified for this swap and a serpentine belt system with a reverse flow water pump.

I'm also having a problem with my starter. I am using the starter from my 5.0 which had a 164 tooth flywheel, but I changed the flywheel to a 157 tooth to fit in my bellhousing (c-4). Now the starter won't engage. Can I buy a bigger gear for the starter, or do I need to buy a new starter, or have I done something seriously wrong!?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you change bellhousings when you changed flywheel? It sounds like the bellhousing is for a 164 tooth flywheel, and too wide, hence, the starter will be too far away to engage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did change the bellhousing to a 157 tooth. At least that is what the numbers on the housing indicated. I thought that could be the problem too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
how has the radiator been modified? that may very well determine what hoses you use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The radiator has the inlet on the passenger side and the outlet on the driver's side. I believe they are for 1-3/4 hoses.

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK, that gets you the same waterpump and rad. config as a 70+ 302. I'd try hoses for a 71 Mustang.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking at the housing, I think I must have put a 164 tooth housing in. Does anyone have a 157 tooth bellhousing they want to sell?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If you have a 66 radiator with both in/out on the passanger side, and you have a water pump on the drivers side, you can make a hybrid hose that will work great, I made one 2 years ago, and have never had an issue with it.

Take two standard lower radiator hoses for the 66 with a 289, and an electricians 2 1/4 pipe, about 1 foot long. The electricians pipe is the only pipe available at any hardware store that has the correct outside diameter and is galvanized for no corroision.

Use the pipe top join the two 289 hoses together about mid point in the radiator. Use 2 hose clamps on each end of the pipe, unless your going to put a flang on it. I did not see it was nessasary, since each rubber hose has almost 4 inches of this electricians pipe inside of it, with only 1 inch of pipe showing between the two.

I can post a photo of this is you like....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
ooop's never mind, I thought you had a standard 66 radiator.... ( both in/out on the pasanger side....

Sorry, I read your post incorrectly.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts