Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a '68 Mustang with a 302 4bbl.The engine died....completely.We have access to a 5.0 from a Crown Vic.He's not worried about tons of power right now,just getting it back on the road.I know the 5.0 (roller motor) will bolt right in,but,what do we need to do about the accessories,and the FMX tranny?Will we need anything special to do the swap?I know we'll have to swap the oil pickup and the pan,EFI gone,carb and intake on.Front cover swap to fit the old school fuel pump on.He is on a budget,considering the time of year.The car is a daily driver for him.I did the H.O swap in my '88 T-Bird,no problems,but going from an '89 Crown Vic engine into an older carbed vehicle is a little different.Thanks for any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know many more knowledgeable people will come in, but for now i will give what i can. I think many of the accessories will swap. There might be something about a reverse rotation waterpump, it depends on the belt setup. Something with the crank pully i think to. This is just stuff i have gathered from this site. I dont remember much for sure, im just guessing. Somebody who knows for sure will let you know

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You will need an early timing chain for a 68 302 since the later 5.0's used a thicker timing gear which may cause the fuel pump eccentric to hit the timing cover it you keep the same timing set. That also may mean a different dowel pin my be needed for the cam.

Make sure to get the right flexplate since his is likely a 28oz imbalance and the new roller motor is a 50oz imbalance. He cannot use the same balancer either, so you will need to find a 50oz balancer that will accept a 3 bolt crank pulley, or you can keep the stock balancer that is there and buy a new 4 bolt crank pulley from March which is thinner to accont for the roller motor's thicker 50oz balancer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What trans is he running right now? If he is running an FMX it should bolt up no differently, the roller blocks use the same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the FMX will physically bolt up,but will there be torque converter issues with the flywheel?I'm an AOD user.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I have a question on this also I have a 87 Town Car 302 I am putting in my 67 Galaxie and I know I need to swap timing covers but new gear/chain? I have not heard anything about this does anyone know for sure I am on a budget and trying buy as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The timing cover is different between the two, (as previously mentioned.
) one will not allow you to use the reverse style water pump on purpose, it will interfear with the balancer pullies. Best bet is just use the water pump and pullies setup as it already is on the 5.0 motor. You may need to use the serpintine setup with the accessories you can not use, unless you purchase the no accessories version serpintine setup.

The rear flywheel also needs the new balancer as previously mentioned. Check the bell housing to make sure it has the same number of bolts, it should but those were the gray years for things like that.

You should pull the manifold and carb off the dead 302, put it on the new 302. I think it will just bolt right up. Maybe a couple of extra screws in the back of the old carb manifold that will need to be plugged, since the newer 5.0 heads will not have bolt hole previsions for them.

You could probably get away with using the stock 68 dizy till you get the car running, so you don't need to install all the dizy electronics for the fuelie engine.

Don't try to get the new 302 running as a fuelie in that car, you will have expensive fuel delivery problems. Maybe a new fuel tank, high pressure pump, and return fuel lines.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
DO NOT USE THE STOCK DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! With a roller cam car you need a distributor with a steel gear on it or it will get eaten up by the other gears.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Also, tap and thread that dipstick hole on the 5.0 block. Some people like to use a wooden dowel, but I never had good luck with that method. Besides, while you are swapping pans, you can easily tap it for a plug and clean out any filings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts