Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen various discussions concerning serpentine use on early mustangs, however, I've not seen a clear answer on whether a time cover change is feasible.

I've got an early 5..L HO FI motor I with to install... I understand that the "FOX Body" pan needs to be changed, along with the oil pump pickup, but by doing so, you lose the use of an oil dipstick in the side of the block.

I have a 76 Granada timing cover, that has the front dipstick, and can easily install it.... BUT will the waterpump and serpentine components work with this timing cover??

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Mitch

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You should be able to drill the front cover for a dipstick..On my 408 the front cover was from a 1982 351..It had no dipstick hole but the raised boss was cast into it..I simply measured the diameter of a dipstick tube and drilled out the timing cover to fit..

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mitch yo can go either route, Drill the timing cover Its easy if you take you time I have done several with them still on the motor. If you swap the timing cover with the Granada you will have to block off the fuel pump mounting boss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... Sounds like I have some "insurance", as I can try the drilling and if I mess it up, I can go to the timecover swap..

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just make sure the two timing covers have the same ports for the water pump..Some reverse rotation covers are different like in the photo below(bottom right).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts