Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question I am planning on doing my entire fuel line one day front to back replacing the old 5/16th fuel line to 3/8 line. But in the mean time is it ok to keep the 5/16th line to the fuel pump and then go 3/8 to the carb? This is in a 331 stroker with a Holley 650DP carb/65 falcon. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
No issue at all.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
True enough - if it doesn't make enough power to need the larger line, then you're good. Simple supply and demand.
David

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will upgrade to 3/8th line one day from back to front but in the mean time i started the 3/8 line from the pump to carb. Only problem is when I took the rubber hose off the stock steel line it pissed fuel for 20 minutes or so. Never seen something like that before, It completely drained the tank. I dont know how that can happen when the car is off... How does fuel get from the tank to the front of the car and keep pouring out? I could understand a small dribble but it was approx 5L of fuel. I will have to check out the steel line and see if there is a hole in it or something but even then why would it do that when I pulled the rubber line off of it. Very frustrating things have happened to this car lately.

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
The gas tank sits high in the rear and the fuel flows down..

Once suction starts pulling fuel, the pump lets it flow..

Next time, put a 3/8" rubber plug over the fuel pump
outlet and all you will get is what's in the line going
to the carb..oz's vs L's

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You might have pressure in the gas tank due to a wrong or bad gas cap. Pop the gas cap sometime to check if pressure is building in the tank.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, Ya i have one of those cheap locking gas caps from lordco. The rubber seal is completly worn out and Ive since noticed that the cap could have been on there a little better. I will pick up another cap, cheap insurance.

In regards to pulling the gas cap off and checkoing to see if pressure is building in the tank... how do i go about that? Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your tank will build pressure from ambient temp changes. You need a vented cap. Starting around 1970 cars came with sealed tanks and charcoal canisters to store those fuel vapors

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
My 65 Falcons gas tank has a vent line that vents near the right leaf spring shackle.

I wouldn't think he would need a vented gas cap?

Jet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts