Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I.ve read some parts off Granada & Maverick will interchange on a 65 Falcon. Wondering if anybody knows of any other rear ends & front end parts that will fit. I have 65 2dr post, I want to convert to V8. Any help & advice would be great. I can get Ford 9" 411 posi, but want to have road gear (373? ) Anybody want to trade?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used the front suspension and 8" rear axle out of a 65/6 Mustang in my 65 sedan. Pretty much a bolt in job. I'm running 3.25 gears with the stock six for now but there's a warmed up 302 in the garage beggin' to go in... Without overdrive, I wouldn't run anything higher that 3.55's maybe 3.73's if you only cruise around town, or very little highway time. Another good 8" swap would be a Mustang 2 which is the narrowest of the factory setups. With a 9" your kinda stuck with factory 65/6 Mustangs (hard to find), Granada/Monarch/Maverick (very hard to find), Versille (sp? and very heavy plus brake parts are hard to find), or 57 to 59 Ford (more common but still hard to find) or a custom housing (expensive).

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
There are a few options. If you have v8 spindles you can swap in Granada discs to get disc brakes on the front.
Another thing you can do is go to mustangsteves.com think is the place. He has a kit to convert your 6cyl spindles to the Granada discs without changing your steering parts.
Another option for the rear is get a rear from an explorer and shorten the long side to the same size as the short side, redo the spring mounts, get another short axel and you have a good strong 8.8 rear with a variety of axle ratios and much better brakes and 5 lug pattern.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you want a 8.8 ,you can get one that's the right width and not shorten it. Ford used the 8.8 in its 94 ranger super cab 4x4s. I had two of them,one a runner and one for parts. The older rangers had a 7.something and most think that's what they kept using.
They are 58.5 wide 5 lug pattern same as falcon.
3:73 Limited slip.You can change that but it's just right for my overdrive.
Brakes are 2.5"x 10 "drums, wider than the ones that came on falcon 8"rear.
you could probably change to disc easy.
Get the rear part of drive shaft as you may need it as it has a different yoke than the older cars had.
You will have to make new spring mount plates and set the pinion angle.
I believe the stabilizer bar on it can be used, I haven't got that far yet.
Good luck, JIM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the front suspension and 8" rear axle out of a 65/6 Mustang in my 65 sedan. Pretty much a bolt in job. I'm running 3.25 gears with the stock six for now but there's a warmed up 302 in the garage beggin' to go in... Without overdrive, I wouldn't run anything higher that 3.55's maybe 3.73's if you only cruise around town, or very little highway time. Another good 8" swap would be a Mustang 2 which is the narrowest of the factory setups. With a 9" your kinda stuck with factory 65/6 Mustangs (hard to find), Granada/Monarch/Maverick (very hard to find), Versille (sp? and very heavy plus brake parts are hard to find), or 57 to 59 Ford (more common but still hard to find) or a custom housing (expensive).
Thanks Tweet for the info. I'll keep looking for a 65/6 stang. Also yesterday a friend ( race mechanic ) told me we might be able to use Pinto spindles, whats's your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm with colkerr on the Pinto spindles. They won't work unless you plan on doing a Mustang II style front suspension swap, which personally I'm not a huge fan of...love the room it provides but not the structural changes. Your hardest part might be finding 65/6 Mustang front spindles. Granada's or 70 Mustang are your next best choice. I have 70 spindles on my 66 Mustang coupe with 13" Cobra brakes. It's a nice setup with thicker pins on the spindles but there are some geometry issues if the car is lowered radically.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want a 8.8 ,you can get one that's the right width and not shorten it. Ford used the 8.8 in its 94 ranger super cab 4x4s. I had two of them,one a runner and one for parts. The older rangers had a 7.something and most think that's what they kept using.
They are 58.5 wide 5 lug pattern same as falcon.
3:73 Limited slip.You can change that but it's just right for my overdrive.
Brakes are 2.5"x 10 "drums, wider than the ones that came on falcon 8"rear.
you could probably change to disc easy.
Get the rear part of drive shaft as you may need it as it has a different yoke than the older cars had.
You will have to make new spring mount plates and set the pinion angle.
I believe the stabilizer bar on it can be used, I haven't got that far yet.
Good luck, JIM
Thanks 64, I didn't know Ranger parts were an option, Might find a 94 in a yard, seems with scrape metal so high everything is getting flattened.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks 64, I didn't know Ranger parts were an option, Might find a 94 in a yard, seems with scrape metal so high everything is getting flattened.
I'v even used the older ranger,83, but they have small drum brakes. The lug bolts are 5on4.5 but the gears are smaller. I never new they had the 8.8 until I picked up one to get parts off of for another 94 I had. I don't know if any of them came with disc brakes ,but getting the limited slip gears was a bonus for me. I'm not sure if all of the models have that rear, but i have been told they started about 92.

·
Registered
157 Posts
64 futura, are there any issues with the carrier being off center, similar to the Exploder 8.8's? What's the overall width on the Ranger rear? I might have to grab one for my 66 Mustang coupe...

·
Registered
634 Posts
64 futura, are there any issues with the carrier being off center, similar to the Exploder 8.8's? What's the overall width on the Ranger rear? I might have to grab one for my 66 Mustang coupe...
The off set won't hurt , the u-joint will take care of it,lot's of vehicals are that way. You must have missed the 58.5 width in the other post,same as falcon. I haven't got to drive it yet but don't see any problems . I'm trying to utilize the stabilizer bar that came with it,haven't had a chance to get back to it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, guess I missed the width... Sounds like I might be making a trip to the junkyard, if I have any money left after Carlisle All Ford this weekend....

·
Registered
86 Posts
TJohn, where do you live? I installed a MustangII front end on my 65' Futura and have all the five lug/V8 parts that you need. No rear end. Will not ship. I live in north Georgia.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, guess I missed the width... Sounds like I might be making a trip to the junkyard, if I have any money left after Carlisle All Ford this weekend....
There is another thread going on now about the rears to use,i don't know if you are following it or not. But it sounds like if you want to spend the extra you can shorten the explorer 3" and get more room for your wheels. You might want to check over there before you pick up one.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I.ve read some parts off Granada & Maverick will interchange on a 65 Falcon. Wondering if anybody knows of any other rear ends & front end parts that will fit. I have 65 2dr post, I want to convert to V8. Any help & advice would be great. I can get Ford 9" 411 posi, but want to have road gear (373? ) Anybody want to trade?
Where are you located? I've got a complete front setup from a 64 V8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TJohn, where do you live? I installed a MustangII front end on my 65' Futura and have all the five lug/V8 parts that you need. No rear end. Will not ship. I live in north Georgia.
Southeast Kentucky about 20 miles by I-75 from Tennessee. I can do N. Ga in about 3.5 hrs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tjohn, I have the drums with all brake innards, spindles, tie rods, upper and lower arms, springs, struts, stabilizer bar and any other parts that I took off the suspension when I installed the MII front end. Let you have it all for $100 and throw in a V8 starter and alternator to help on your gas money. Send me a private message if you are interested and I will give you my email address or phone number. Tinnocker

1 - 20 of 20 Posts