Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just finishing packing up for the trip to get the new 66 4-speed 428 Galaxie.

I've got 4 extra tie down straps and 2 extra axle straps going with us too.

We will be at Crites Manufacturing to pick up the teardrop hood for the Galaxie on Wednesday afternoon.

I will get some pictures of the cars that Crites has at their factory for the site.

They have tons of Ford and Mercury musclecars at that place.

I have to go about 40 miles out of Columbus Ohio to get the Galaxie,I want to get the car first thing in the morning and then go to Crites second.

I will take lots of pictures of any cool stuff I see along the way,when I get back I make some posts of the good stuff!

BOSSLX and I are really looking forward to this trip,the new Galaxie is REALLY REALLY nice,and the Crites factory is packed with Fordmuscle!

See ya guys,I should be back posting again by this Friday.

You guys take care and I'll see you in a few days.......I have a new toy to go get in Ohio!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the Galaxie! Glad to have another in the fold of land yachts.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm back!

I did the 1000+ miles of driving striaght through,it took about 8 hours each way to drive it.

Here is a coulpe pics of the new Galaxie.

The first ones is taken at a rest stop somewhere in Ohio,the last one is it in my garage with the new hood being fitted.

I have to drop the hood off next week to get painted so I wanted to do all the fitting to it now before it's painted.

I drove the car a little around here and it's pretty fast.

It's super fun to have a 4-speed in a car like this!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tom looks like a verrrry nice ride!! Hell I'm drooling on the trailer!!!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Was that 1000+ miles of driving round trip or was it one way? If it was one way, I thought some of my road trips times were good. Car looks sweet, have you decided on rims yet?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Good job Tom car looks great. Reminds me of my 68 torino 390 4 speed lot of fun. Also my falcon had a 4 speed in it too. Too bad i twisted the input shaft in it damn them small inputs but it was a lot of fun while it lasted. I will definitly at woodward talking to ya and looking at all the cars.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
NICE CAR DynoTom! Looks wall to wall in the bubble hood shot. Hope to hear and see it some day. Keep it under 120, those tires look a little too skinny to me!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
DT, NICE RIDE!! I know you're really proud of it! Surely you're gonna throw a set of hydraulics, some player wire wheels and those little bitty short fat tires, and some of those little dangly things around the headliner and some leopard skin seatcovers, and....oh, sorry, wrong board...

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
On 2002-03-16 12:25, fxcomet wrote:
DT, NICE RIDE!! I know you're really proud of it! Surely you're gonna throw a set of hydraulics, some player wire wheels and those little bitty short fat tires, and some of those little dangly things around the headliner and some leopard skin seatcovers, and....oh, sorry, wrong board...
Hahahaha!

A real nice ride you have there, Dyno Tom!

You are gathering quite a collection my friend!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I got the hood all trimed and latches working,I'm adding some hood pins just to be safe.

I took it out after the oil change and tune up for a test run.

I wound her up to around 90 and Im very surprised to see how fast the car is?

It pulls hard all the way up,it's fun to bang gears in a big car like this.

The guy I got it from said he ran it about 4 years ago at the strip.He said it ran a 14.73 @ 97,I did'nt really believe it when he told me those times but,now that I drove it I'll bet it could run those times?

I guess after I drove it today I started thinking of the combo the car has and why it's faster than I thought it would be?

It's got a fresh 0.30 over 428 with long tube headers,780 holley vac sec,3.70 31-spline trac loc and a crane energizer camshaft.

And of course a 4-speed wont hurt the ets either!

I'm not saying the car is a "rocket" but,I'm very pleased that it's much much faster than I was thinking it would be!

It's definatly fast enough to have fun with,when I banged 2 nd gear at 5000 rpm it put em up in smoke!

She a runner!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The 'full frame' bodies really do feel much differently?

I hadn't thought of that actually.

We took a Pro-Street Monte Carlo out today with a 497 Lingenfelter BBC and practiced holeshots with it and it seemed rather stable.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Greg, the test drive in the Galaxie today was fun!

The car takes some gitin used to with the manual steering and 4-speed set up,kinda makes me wish I was born with another arm!

I have a routine for shifting figured out with this set up,all I do is make sure I'm in the gear I want before I turn a corner!

It's not too bad,I will leave the car manual steering.

It did seem real stable at 90 today,I have to see do some more tuning to the combo,I think I can tweak it even more.

Do you think a sway bar would help make the car less "wallowly" around corners?

It's got a new heavy spring and shocks on it but,around corners it leans pretty much.

I wonder how much those sway bars from www.p.s.t.com would help it out?

I like the car alot,it gets alot of looks from people around here.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
DT, a good set of gas shocks would be my first investment instead of heavier sway bars. Much of the wallow is due to shock valving that was set for smooth instead of control. If the shocks aren't enough, then a bigger front bar and a rear one would certainly be a good next step.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Sharp looking car, DT! Also love the fm stickers on the trailer!
The hood looks absolutely titties!

I'd for sure advise the addition of sway bars, (both front and rear), if you're gonna 'cruise it' more than race it!

Looks great!

·
Registered
522 Posts
DynoTom, I also wanted to get the front and rear sway bars for my 70 when I rebuilt the front suspension. During the rebuild i found that the rotors were shot. The cost of new ones used all of the money for the swaybars. After driving the car with new bushings (rubber), springs, and KYB shocks, I don't think the sway bars will really be necessary. Just having the suspension new is such an improvement over the loose/nasty ride before. I don't think you would ever notice it unless on a race track, and if I have the urge to road race something I'll find less of a Yacht. Try a set of the KYB's. They work very well!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1970 Galaxie, Thanks for the shock info!

I was wondering what shocks would be good to stiffen this 66 Galaxie up just a little?

I will try those KYBs and let you know how they worked.

I'm kinda gettin used to this new 4-speed 66 a little more?

It's fun to drive I guess the "softness" of the shocks wouldn'nt be as apparent with a automatic trans compared to the 4-speed?

With the 4-speed it has if I take a corner a little faster,when I grab for the shifter it's not in the same place it was when the car was going straight!

I'm gittin the hang of this manual steer 4 speed deally,it's takes some doing though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts