Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys i posted a long time ago about making a 500hp windsor. i looked down deep to find out it isn't the big hp numbers i want, it's the big torque numbers i want. cuz i hear from old veteran racing dude and he said that street racing you will need mostly torque not hp completely.

i found out that when you go with high duration cams and high hp, the torque number drops. like you could have way more hp than torque. looking at stocked motors numbers there is always alot more torque than hp. what kind of combo shold i go to have a good hp number but still have a GREAT torque number?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you running a 302 or 351W? Injected or carbureted? The old racer is partly correct.
If you have 2:73 rear gears, an automatic trans and stock stall speed converter, then yes lots of torque is what your after. HP is a function of Torque x RPM/5250. So in order to make high hp, you must shift the torque curve as high in the rev range as you can to get it.. If you run 4:10 gears and a 3000 stall converter, than you can use more camshaft and still end up with a faster street car. The gear and converter will multiply the torque and make up for what you lost with the bigger cam ect. For a descent idling street car with high torque, I would use a single pattern camshaft like the Isky 270 mega hydraulic. Combined with between 9 and 10;1 compression will really work well. Use the highest flowing heads you can find with the smallest intake runner volume to promote high velocity through the heads. I like the Dart Windsor Jr.s with the 170cc runner. When bowl ported they outflow the bigger Dart heads and make MUCH better torque! If you run a carb, I would use a 650 with the performer intake. Injected I would use the GT40 setup.. A 351W will make around 400 ft lbs with this setup. A 302 will have about 350 ft lbs. The 351 will put a well set up car in the 12's, and the 302 in the lower 13's. Both will have great street manner and run on pump gas if tuned right. Good luck, hope this helped!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes this is aa 351w. i plan on makaing a injected car in the future cuz my dad has gone mad about making vintage cars with efi. and oh yea, i have a stocked stall and newly rebuilt 3.0 gears. only reason why i put the tall gears is cuz i like low revs on highway. i do alot of highway cuz it's my hobby cruising at 70 at nt 35-45 in the city.

when i do thiswhole set up, i prolly do a 3500 stall and keep the 3.0 gears until the end. if i can use a used 3.70 posi i will.

so what kind of cam numbers are looking at to get the max torque number? i know to get a good set of heads.

·
Registered
359 Posts
On 2002-01-17 09:16, chilly460 wrote:
The guy you talked to had the right idea, but how do you plan to hook 500ftlbs up on street tires?
I would also like to know this because from experience you can have all the torque and HP in the world but most of the time you just end up sideways

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
On 2002-01-17 16:19, lordviper13 wrote:
On 2002-01-17 09:16, chilly460 wrote:
The guy you talked to had the right idea, but how do you plan to hook 500ftlbs up on street tires?
I would also like to know this because from experience you can have all the torque and HP in the world but most of the time you just end up sideways
Check out http://www.cokertire.com/default.asp
they have a set of 515's on there. I think that will defintly hook.

·
Registered
749 Posts
there is the old street racer theory that because of lack of traction you really want something with more midrange torque and top end charge. Something actually leaves a little softer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having lots of HP and tons of Torque is great, but you need to know how to drive (street race) to get it to the ground

Winning = Driver Skill + balancing torque and HP.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if you are near me it will take a bit more than 500 ft tq to win around here as for tracktion et streets will go into the low 10s on the street with a car thats preped unless your just racing uro trash you better get 500 hp also old racers are cool but there is a thing called technology and tires have come a long way sence the old poliglass g-60s just my .02

·
Registered
682 Posts
i had a small cam in my old 408w before i changed it over and rebuilt it, was a lunati grind hy roller 218-228-536-536-112 everybody knock it for being to small but it made 400 ft [email protected] 3000rpms just where i needed it for street car, now i have a comp hy roller custom 288-283-236-242-555-576-108 with a 10'' converter hope not to lose that great torque down low and mid range thats where my old motor made the most power between 2000 and 4500 rpms.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yep, somebody has entirely too much time on their hands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts