Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a convert on ebay--63 500XL with a 289. Did they build XLs with small blocks?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back then you could order the car with (or without) just about any the options that were available for the model, rather than having to select a complete package as is required today. I once saw a '63 XL 4D HT in a salvage yard. If it hadn't been a total disaster I would've had to bring it home.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
XL was basically a trim package: buckets, console, various moldings, and appearance items.

True on the 289 base motor statement.

Underneath, pure basic Galaxie.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK--thanks guys. But no engine badges, right? I think I've only seen 390, 406, and 427s.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Correct, only the 390's and 427's got the engine badge on the fenders.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Yep, '65 and '66 Galaxies had them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Until the 70s or so, you could special order just about any combinations of colors, interiors, trim, drive trains you could think of. Even if it was not an option. Often it might not have been possible to do on the assembly line, so they were dealer installed. My dad always had Chevy wagons with 3 spd on the column. When it was no longer available as an option, he special ordered a 3-on-the-tree in a 73[?] Chevy wagon. The only car that still offered a 3 speed was the bottom of the line Biscane[?] sedan. Apparently, there were only a handfull of 3 spd. wagons made that year. I bought a 67 GTO from the orginal owner that had a Grand Prix YC motor and a black/white interior color combination that was not listed as an option but he paid extra and got it special ordered. I think he was a bit of a NUT! I didn't believe him but he gave the the org. build sheet. What a waste of money. Why he just didn't get the factory GTO with the 2 bbl? He said he did it to save gas yet he kept the optional 360 rear with an automatic and all the options. Shame it was a N.J. car and was so rusted there was nothing left of it but parts. The GP and GTO motors are all but the same motor. Same block, heads, compression just diff # on the block and maybe cam. The actual milage was probably worse than carefully driving my correct 67 GTO with the 4 bbl. I don't know why you would do it but I remember someone ordered and 67 Tempest with all the GTO options but it was not a GTO. Serial # showed it was a Tempest but window sticker listed all the GTO options.
Also, many big blocks were tossed for small blocks in the late 70s when they started rationing gas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Back then you could order the car with (or without) just about any the options that were available for the model, rather than having to select a complete package as is required today. I once saw a '63 XL 4D HT in a salvage yard. If it hadn't been a total disaster I would've had to bring it home.

I have a '64 XL 4D HT with 40K original miles. I've been told it's pretty rare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts