Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting together a 532 for my '72 Country Squire and have a question about cooling. I know for this combo it has an over bore of .080 and I was wondering if this would have an effect of running hotter on the street as opposed to going with a 521 or a 514 stroker which I think are .040 over bores. I am not exactly sure what the best size stokers on these engines iwould be, so if anyone has any expertise, please chime in and also please give me some ideas as to what would be a decent set of cylinder heads for an engine like this. I basically want a torque monster with a very smoothe idle that makes a lot of power with maybe an ocassional trip down the drag strip, Is this too much to ask out of a 6,000 pound wagon? -Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most of the 460 blocks will bore to .080 but they all need to be sonic checked first since there's no consistancy in the thickness. If they can be bored that far the motor will not run hot. I have a 532 in a Mustang drag car with 14.5-1 compression that was on race fuel for the last 3 years and I could idle forever in the pits and only see 180 degrees. The 2 bolt mains will be fine for your build and the most user friendly bang for your buck heads are the Trick Flow "Street" heads. Summit Racing has them. The new SCJ's require you to make new valve reliefs. You'll need a big carb, at least 1000cfm or more. Chris

·
Registered
908 Posts
I am running a 545 in my '71 Torino. This is a 4.5" stroke, and 4,390 piston (.030" over).

With an Edelbrock water pump, 6 blade flex fan, 31x19 two core aluminum radiator, full fan shroud, and A/C, the car runs 1t 185 to 195 all day long.

In traffic, the hottest it has gotten is 200, and that is with 105 degree outside air temps.

I would be wary of large overbores on the 429/460 blocks. I am using a D9TE truck block because it has deeper cylinder bores, good for piston support at BDC with a large stroker. Unfortunately, the common consensus is that these blocks are cast a little thinner than the earlier D1VE blocks. The extra few cubes are really not worth it.

If you go .080 on the bore, and have a mishap you're going to be hard pressed to fix the block.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts