Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get away from the "stock style" drop front axle on my F100 project.

I have a buddy that does these fabrications ... your basic "street rod" builder.

He says these things are the way to go on those old trucks ... What say you guys?

I can tell you for sure, there is no shortage of front sway protection on this Pontiac front clip

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 6/3/02 11:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually the cutting and welding is the fun part ... provides unlimited flexibility ...

Is there something you know about these front ends that makes them undesireable ... other than the fact that other pre-fab parts exist?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only comment I would have is that if you use a GM front clip, you will need to use a GM rear axle asembly. You don't want to have to buy wheels with different bolt patterns, 4 3/4 on the front and 4 1/2 on the rear. You will need to carry a spare with both patterns.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a GM front rotor with a Ford bolt pattern.

The Chrysler Torsion bar suspension has a number of advantages.... one of those being the ability to change the ride height easily.

Just my random thought.

JO

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy I got the clip from changes bolt patterns on Ford axles (actually I think it's "Currie Enterprises" that does it for him) so getting uniform bolt pattern won't be a huge problem. What I have in the rear is a Versille (probably spelled wrong) 9" with disc brakes.

Also with the amount of "unilug" wheels out there, the liklyhood is high that it will be a none issue ...depending on what wheels I end up selecting.

We will set the ride height when we fab it in.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 6/4/02 10:10pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I prefer to keep my Fords... Ford. R&C sells a crossmember to use Mustang II suspension. I used an LTD on one once, it fit better that the GM ones I've tried in the past & required no custom engine mounts. I have done the R&C on a Falcon, it's a really neat deal, easy to do if you can weld. Just gotta measure it a lot & keep it level.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I've never been that "Brand Partial" ...

I've always thought in terms of mods that will provide the best possible end result.

From what I am hearing (elsewhere)the "Trans Am" front end provides about the best possible combination of "ride and handling" you can find. Essentially a heavy duty competition front suspension.

Cost for the clip $175.00 ... trading out labor with my "Street Rod Builder" friend on the subframe job ...

I'll be documenting the project for future reference with words and photos ... stay tuned

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 6/9/02 6:41am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've done the TA/Camaro swap many times for some other people & once for me. It really didn't work as well as everyone said. I am purchasing a '52 Sanford & Son tomorrow. It'll be a flathead/C-4 with a later '66 to '72 F-100 clip. I did the last one like this, drove really well, looked like a truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts