Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any place to decode the vin and data plate on a 57 Ranchero? All the places I have found start at 1960. Just aquired a 57 Ranchero that is a bead blasted and primered shell. The body is pretty straight but has some typical rust issues. Not sure what direction we will take it but was wondering what it started out life with. here are the numbers if some one has the info handy.
C7RF-175056
668 VE3 AU 3E720510C

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You got the 1957 or 1958 front end on it?

Many years ago, took a $100 dollar loan (plus the pink slip) on what was titled as a 1957 version. Many months later I actually saw it and (boy was it rusted out in the bed area) and it had the 1958 front end sheet metal, and side trim. It also had a 351 Cleveland and a four speed in it.

Wm.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that C7 looks like a 67 part number, but the numbers came off of the data plate on the door pillar and the serial number matches the serial number on the frame and title. It probably doesn't matter what it had originally anyway as it is pretty much a clean slate and not nice enough to do an actual restoration. It probably will get a 58 front clip as we like the look better and can use the left over parts from my brothers 58 Ranchero project.
Mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It probably will get a 58 front clip as we like the look better and can use the left over parts from my brothers 58 Ranchero project. Mike

Other than the rust, the 1957/1958 used to be a very popular conversion.

Besides the sheet metal, You will need the wires off to the headlights also.
Hopefully your two autos have similar side trim too.

Overall can be done in 1/2 day, provided all old metal is off. Tailights used to be from some Edsel model.

Wm.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw a 57 Ranchero for sale on the H.A.M.B with an Edsel front clip and tail lights. I kind of like it, makes you twist you're head and go hmmmm.... If I was closer to Texas I might consider buying it.
Mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Anything to hide the homely lines of the 1957 by using Edsel parts. I used to watch Thunder Road on televison often here via soem Los Angeles based television station. I used to have four of the Ranch Wagons, so sort of like em.

But, ... In contacting the owner from Texas, ask as to what year body style of tail lights from what Edsel were used? I think the 1958 era stuff only fits on to the front end of a 1957, and not the rear tail gate area.

Wm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts