Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change the rear wheel bearing on my 59 galaxie,(all original 54000 miles).The bearing the parts store showed would not fit.They showed only one bearing for 57-59.Used the number of my bearing,it showed to fit 55-59 gm cars?wtf?Also the price when from 12 bucks to 90!Any one seen this before?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok, where's Orson Wells hiding? Or is it Rod Garner? That's some weird Shi+!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
What you have there is a bearing that was used in fords and chevy adopted it into their reportois, the books got old they changed #'s and ford chenged their #'s to something else... Etc... Etc...

Why is the bearing on my 70 F-100 the same bearing for the rear axle on my Japanese made 89 Chrysler Voyager...?

It's all relative.

FE

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know bearings cross over to different makes,but everyone Ive checked with shows only the one bearing for 57-59,(which is bigger than mine)and the one that fits only shows gm applications.my car is a v8 car,how many variations(splines,bearing size,etc)does anyone know of for late fifties nine inchers?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-10-12 08:04, PowerByFord wrote:
I know bearings cross over to different makes,but everyone Ive checked with shows only the one bearing for 57-59,(which is bigger than mine)and the one that fits only shows gm applications.my car is a v8 car,how many variations(splines,bearing size,etc)does anyone know of for late fifties nine inchers?
There is always the chance that someone made some modifications in the past...
Once cars get past a 'certain age', its a free for all.

After all - These are old cars, they just became "collectable" in the last 10 - 15 years. Just like with the ol' cars of the 20's and 30's, I still see these old 3 Stooges clips - watching them trash all those 32 coupe, roadsters, phaetons… it’s painful to think about. Millions of dollars in old iron were wrecked, crushed or used in demolition derby’s and dirt track racing. The same thing happened to 60's cars, Muscle cars - who'd thunk they would be so valuable one day?

http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to beat a dead horse,but I know that too.This car is all original(the parts,even the brake shoes are date coded 59 and say fomoco)Its an original car.main thing,does any one know the 9 inch variations?When did the 8 inch make its debut?Mine has a smaller bearing than whats offered.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
...Not to beat a dead horse...
follow the links. most of what you are asking is written up already.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There were two wheel bearing sizes. Ranchero and station wagons took the larger ones and passenger cars took the smaller ones. You need to find someone that can read the parts book right. It might be true that the smaller bearing fits a chevy but it should be cheeper than the large bearing. I'm going down to the shop in a little while and I'll look the number up for you.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
These are the part numbers from my NAPA catalog. 57-67 full size Ford, small bearing is RW207-CCRA and the seal is 13738, The big bearing is 88128-R and the seal is 15142. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys(and ladies)!The large bearing is what was shown for mine at napa.My bearing is Rw507?Which said 55-59 gm car only.Car is a 292,cruiso with no accessories galaxy.The large bearing and seal was 12 bucks in stock.The other was special order and cost was $72! with no seal.But it fit perfect,thanks again for the replys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also noticed that some books asked if it was a 8.75 ring gear or nine.Was this its own differential?I hadnt heard of a 8 an three quarter?

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There is an 8.75 out there, I had one out of a 64 four door and sold it to ZRX>>>, cant' ever remember his whole nic. His was an 4-door XL. His engine started as a 352. So not sure what designates that rearend and not sure what the engine was in the '64 my dad and I parted. Oh and the 8.75 in both rears I spoke of were small bearing.

Isn't it mopar or gm that has a 8.75 also? 2 different birds I think but same size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts