Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 72 of the July 2012 issue of Diesel Power has a super, ultra trick 1964 Ford Galaxie Country Squire with a 6.0 litre Power Stroke diesel motor stuffed between the front fenders. 400+ rear wheel hp and 28 mpg. The car is very nicely done. Check it out if you can find an issue.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is actually the issue that got me stoked for the build. It's now in the July 12 issue. 11 months of work since they "hinted" at the project.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i wonder how long before he tears the frame apart. i have an 06 f350 with the 6.0 powerstroke.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting idea , Love a Ford deisel but why in the world would a person choose the biggest POS deisel when they could have picked any of them.......maybe they are looking to find a use for all the 6.0 nobody wants..... LOL

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Maybe the 6.0 fits better? I don't know much about diseasels, but wasn't the 6.0 the one that just needed head studs and maybe head gaskets? Either way, sounds cool to me. There was an awful green chevelle in hot rod a while back with a duramax that sounds like it was built similar. Pretty quick and got good mileage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe the 6.0 fits better? I don't know much about diseasels, but wasn't the 6.0 the one that just needed head studs and maybe head gaskets?
Those are some of the issues , along with EGR problems... Sounds simple but those fixes are thousands of dollars in parts and labor on a motor like that. the Deisel shop i take my truck to at times tells people to sell the 6.0 if they want to fix it. They have had enough experience with them to know they are a money pit. The 6.0 do run good " when they run" just seems silly when building to choose a known problem motor. I mean cummins , duramax , 7.3 powerstroke would all be better choices if one wanted to build such a ride.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Those are some of the issues , along with EGR problems... Sounds simple but those fixes are thousands of dollars in parts and labor on a motor like that. the Deisel shop i take my truck to at times tells people to sell the 6.0 if they want to fix it. They have had enough experience with them to know they are a money pit. The 6.0 do run good " when they run" just seems silly when building to choose a known problem motor. I mean cummins , duramax , 7.3 powerstroke would all be better choices if one wanted to build such a ride.
Good luck getting an ISB or a cornbinder 7.3 in a Galaxie engine compartment.

Duramax might fit.

Bear in mind that if you've got the technical capability to deal with it, smog-law wise for a '64 you can toss all the EGR and particulate trap and the rest of the post-2006 diesel smog regime.

Actually, the perfect engine would be the 4.5L Duramax V8 - supposedly engineered to fit in the same space as the LS-family gas V8s - that GM's got sitting on the shelf from before the bankruptcy.

I had fantasies of a '69 Camaro with a 4.5L Duramax...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts