Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was just looking at the broader performance website and listed is a 6 clutch direct using

Drum holds 6 friction plates using .090 and .078 thick steels plates for better heat dissipation. Uses standard size frictions and steels for less expensive freshen ups. Specify with or without oil drain holes added. Unit is assembled and ready to install

I'm looking at doing my own by machining another snap ring groove but i am using .060 steels and the stock thickness clutches and it is still a tight fit.
Curious if anyone has done this using the thick steels??? and thick clutches???

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm interesting,haven't tried that. So .060" steels and clutches,what thickness pressure plare and did you cut a new snap ring groove? If so what sort of cutter did you use for the groove. I'm trying to find one that is 2mm or .080" wide .

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm running a DIY 6 clutch setup. Smooth clutches and ground down steels(060"). Also the pressure plate is cut down about .055". The snap ring groove is in the stock location.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have run the driect 6 pac from BroaderPerformance. Has worked fine.
Just got there 6 clutch upgrade and High Strength Forward drum, will install it this weekend.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No , as i recall the top grove had not been machined. Pressure plate was modified i think.
Will take another look when i install the new parts this weekend.
1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, Pro Comp 2.05/1.60 Heads, Shaft roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 7/16/06 9:27am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No , as i recall the top grove had not been machined. Pressure plate was modified i think.
Will take another look when i install the new parts this weekend

Sounds good. I just bought the tooling to do this myself and i cut a new snap ring groove .140" higher in the drum. A step machined on the pressure plate at .157" gave me correct clearance. I used 6 x .060'" steels and 6 std thickness raybestos clutches. I cant see how this could be done with the std thickness steels but i'd love to find out. .

·
Registered
659 Posts
Got out to the garage finally.
Looked at the 6 pack setup from Broader performance.
It does have the snap ring grove machined. Looks like about .150
The pressure plate is step machined also.
Sounds like what you did is the same as what Broader did G.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 7/24/06 1:00am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts