Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 64 Falcon convt. with a 67 200 six and C4. I plan on installing a 302 in the car soon. The tired little 6 smokes and has low compression.
I have a receipt with the car saying the trans was rebuilt only a couple thousand miles ago, Ive been driving the car around town and it shifts good.
Besides swapping the bell, torque converter and flex-plate would it be possible to simply buy a rebuild kit and install the necessary clutches/steels to make it a V8 compatible trans?
Ive searched past posts and it seems that the only real difference between the 6 and 8 C4s is the amount of clutches/steels? How many in each?

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
861 Posts
You will need, in addition to extra clutches, pressure plates, possibly apply pistons and a wider intermediate band.

You may also need different drums with higher snap ring grooves.

To make it work better the intermediate servo should also be upgraded.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 67 i6 C4 had 4clutches in each and band was the same width as others. It was common for upgrades to be made when rebuilding i6 trans. I think it even says that in my 67 Mustang service manual.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll take the trans apart and see what I got. I also have a 68 302 C4 that need rebuilding. But it has the floor shift input and I'll need the column shift input from the I6 C4 anyhow.
FE looks like the 67 200 engine has a totally different bell housing mount pattern then the 6 bolt 302 going in. So I need to locate a bell housing.
Funny thing is I can get a complete core trans for the price of an original bell housing on eBay:)

Thanks again
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts