Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 67 Custom with a 240 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. It has a 3 speed top loader and 8 " 3.10 rear end. I'm wanting to swap out the that drive train and put a 289/302 with 4 speed in. Nothing fancy, just a driver. What year motors and 4 speeds will be the easiest to put in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me narrow this down a little, my research says 66-67 289 will bolt directly to 3 speed top loader, what 4 speed will bolt to that bell housing? And I'd like the shifter to be on the floor, which makes way more sense. Its going to be tough to buy a complete package so to speak, so I'm trying to get an idea what has worked for others.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
126 Posts
Let me narrow this down a little, my research says 66-67 289 will bolt directly to 3 speed top loader, what 4 speed will bolt to that bell housing? And I'd like the shifter to be on the floor, which makes way more sense. Its going to be tough to buy a complete package so to speak, so I'm trying to get an idea what has worked for others.
So you are going to also switch out the entire steering column, add bucket seats to get a console shift, and then get the console and everything else, and you are looking for the easiest solution? Maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
465 Posts
May I suggest a 5.0 roller motor and a T5. It's a bolt in other than a new crossmember. You can get a shifter handle for the T-5 that looks like the old shifter for the mustang four speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to keep it in "sleeper" mode, leave the steering column alone, leave the bench in. Just a small block with a 4 on the floor. Headers, dual exhaust. All done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the over drive 4 speed, just need to know if they are going to fit together. I'm looking for an engine with tranny, as I don't have to want to have to mess around fly wheels, input shaft size etc. Hows a T 170 sound, apparently it bolts right up to a top loader bell housing, and the're cheap, if you can find one. This is a "find the stuff over the winter project" so the hunt is on. I'm not sure a roller motor is in the budget. I like Eldons idea a 4 speed over drive out of a Granada. Other thing is "not having to cut the driveshaft". Thanks guys I'm taking notes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yes, I want to keep it as simple as possible, should I get rid of the car, with the original equipment, it's much easier to stuff it all back in.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
465 Posts
In the past I put a used 5.0 roller motor with a 4bl carb , hand ported the stock heads install headers and a Trick Flow Stage I cam in my old Bronco. I was very pleased with the performance. And it towed my boat great.Used 5.0 from fox bodys are pretty cheap if you look around.If you want to switch back to the old setup, it's easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My cars a 4 door, will the front seat interfer with the shifter, mind you it will be all the way back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the 84 with 5 gear and all accessories and tranny mount with 65k on it. I know it's a smuggler but its complete and still in the car so tranny probably wont be separated. Price was right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you are going to also switch out the entire steering column, add bucket seats to get a console shift, and then get the console and everything else, and you are looking for the easiest solution? Maybe I am missing something.
Yeah, You missing the part where you actually suppose to be helpful. If you don't know how to help then save all of our time and shut up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at the over drive 4 speed, just need to know if they are going to fit together. I'm looking for an engine with tranny, as I don't have to want to have to mess around fly wheels, input shaft size etc. Hows a T 170 sound, apparently it bolts right up to a top loader bell housing, and the're cheap, if you can find one. This is a "find the stuff over the winter project" so the hunt is on. I'm not sure a roller motor is in the budget. I like Eldons idea a 4 speed over drive out of a Granada. Other thing is "not having to cut the driveshaft". Thanks guys I'm taking notes.
I just bought a 67 Custom with a 240 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. It has a 3 speed top loader and 8 " 3.10 rear end. I'm wanting to swap out the that drive train and put a 289/302 with 4 speed in. Nothing fancy, just a driver. What year motors and 4 speeds will be the easiest to put in?
I have a 65 Custom and dropped a 1990 302 with aod transmission out of an LTD. Trans mount, engine and frame mounts for motor, kick down and driveshaft modifications were required. My column shift works but I think I’m going to put a floor shift kit in

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome. Sorry I am late to the party. When I first saw your post my mind went to a 4.9 EFI from a 1996 F150. They have a pretty good aftermarket and are a direct descendant of the 240. Just love a big six.

But who am I to talk? I went from a 170 to a 5.0.

Sounds like a good project you have.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
465 Posts
I remember seeing a article about putting a t-5 to the earlier bell housing. they sell a plate that fits between the bell housing and the trans . It spaces the trans out so the input shaft fit in the right spacing.If you go with a roller 5.0 you can put a carb on it ,so you don't have to deal with all the wiring.Not sure about the motor mounts on the 4.9, but it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did read an article on the input shaft issue and it indicated it was with big blocks only, 1 reason why I wanted a tranny and engine together. I just got a shipping quote, may not get the engine tranny package, at least that far away. 🤬

1 - 18 of 18 Posts