Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can also get aftermarket boots and bezels. Round, rectangle, different sizes.
I used one from Mr Gasket on my ‘65.
You may need to fabricate a floor hump/panel to give the boot a flat surface to mount to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ha Hurst sells them, now I have to figure out which shifter came with 64 Fairlane toploader. I know it's a black knob white lettering. Theres 3 boots and bezels depending on shifter. They all look pretty well the same. And they're cheap. More reading.

·
Registered
375 Posts
67 Custom,

I've misled you. For some reason I had it in my head that your car was a 1964 Galaxie when obviously from your login name, it's a 1967. So pictures of mine would not help - 1963/1964 are pretty different from 1965 and up. Likewise, the link to Bud's will not do you any good either as his parts are for 63-64 only, and for stock Ford shifters, not Hurst.

You probably want to have a look at David Kee's toploader site. There is a page for transmission identification and another for tailhousing identification. Different models (Galaxie, Mustang, Fairlane, etc.) had different length tailhousings and the shifters are mounted in different positions and even have different mounting bolt patterns. So it might not be as simple as ordering a Hurst shifter kit for a 1967 Custom with a 289/302 and a toploader, if your tailhousing is different than what came with those originally. You might want to give him a call and discuss it with him. He might be able to sell you the right tailhousing for your application, and the Hurst shifter kit to go with it.

Pat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I send him an email, waiting for a reply and he only has 14" tailstocks, I need a 17". Tranny should be here in a couple of weeks, with shifter, so I'll get the model number off it. I'm betting if I go with the right one I'll have to get the right length shifter linkage etc. Which may be more expensive then just moving the tranny mount and stretching the drive shaft. I found a driveshaft guy locally I'll have a chat with him tomorrow, see what he says. No worries about misleading me, I'm confused all the time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Any one have a pic of a 4 speed in a Galaxie with out a console. I'm looking for the boot. And the trim if any.
I posted this in another thread but maybe it will show you what you're looking for. This is my friend's conversion from automatic on the column to toploader. Transmission tunnel hump had to be custom made because the aftermarket fiberglass ones are not correct. 1967 Galaxie 500 with a 390, no console, bench seat, Ford shifter.

IMG_3971.jpeg
IMG_4040.jpeg
61204583740__D92C9EDF-6980-4C43-ADCB-FF4A4316F2D1.jpeg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Excellent, it's exactly what I need. I see he used the round shifter boot and bezel. Is it indicative of using the Ford shifter, I'm pretty sure the Fairlane has the Hurst shifter which, is what I see in factory 4 gears. Either way when I get it, I know what to order. It appears that the hole size will be dependent on the shifter size another good thing to know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I just found out there's no changing tailhousings, the main shaft is still going to be too long. So back to moving things ahead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Tranny is on the way, motor is out of car and should be soon. Pics of the motor

I've also bought new mounts. Appears I'll need a longer speedo cable, which is available. Merry Christmas all o_O

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Tranny is here, it is indeed an inch and a half short. Took the inspection cover of and the guts look very good, no water of rust. Put the shifter handle on (missing the ball) reverse lock out worked, bit tough shifting to 3rd 4th. It needs a good lub, so I did that. Reverse light switch is rusted solid, but they are available. Need to also find a gasket for inspection cover. No visible oil leaks and everything turns fine, so I'm quite pleased. :LOL:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Bonus, found the proper tranny right here in Nova Scotia, out of 64 Galaxie (small and big block had 28 splines) Negotiating as we speak. He needs my tranny for his 64 Farlane. That's a stroke of luck. Bought a Hurst shifter boot and bezel, Hurst chrome breather new starter, fuel pump and water pump gasket as the former owner of the 289 said theres a leak where it meets the block. Film at 11 😉

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well I though I posted this and it is amazing, not only did I find NOS shifter rods (all 3), I just got a phone call from a guy in town who has a 17 inch top loader. Going over Saturday, to check numbers. Stay tuned. I'm buying what ever it is any way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Unfortunately it's out of a 68 big block. RUG T and if I'm correct means it's got the big input shaft.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Under further investigation, it appears a 390 is considered a small block input shaft is the same size as small blocks. So I'll keep looking into it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Unfortunately the input shaft is 1/2 an inch to short. But the input shaft is the right size. Really big blocks have the bigger input shafts. Next please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Just another day of Covid. Waiting to get the tranny from NB, but no one can leave any of the provinces to meet.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts