Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it helps, for future reference, 1965-69 full-size Fords and 65-67 full-size Mercury's only had the 4-speed Toploader mated with the Z-code 390, P-code 390 (in '65), Y-code 390-2V (1967-later), M-code 410, Q-code 428, P-code 428 ('66-67, law enforcement only) and R/W-code 427s. All had the big-input 1-3/8" 31-spline except the 390 which had the smaller input 1-1/16" 28-spline.

There were no 289, 352, 390-2V or inline 6s built at the factory with 4-speed Toploaders.

If you want to run a 289/302 with a 4-speed toploader in a '67 Custom, among things you'd want to look at the tailhousing and see what works. Not sure if the three speed tailhousing will bolt up or not. David Kee Toploader will know. Also, look closely at the clutch linkage. If 3-speed clutch linkage for a column shift is the same as 4-speed floor shift, then no problem. Otherwise you'll need to hunt down parts. But beware there weren't many full-size Fords or Mercury's with 4-speeds in those years and finding parts can be a real bear.

If it were me, I'd get out the Master Parts Catalog to look at the original assembly diagram and associated parts. That way I'd know for sure what parts are shared between column shift, floor shift, 3-speeds, 4-speeds, tailhousings and so on. It's all in there in the MPC.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Yup got the right tail, with the longer input shaft. With the right tail I get the correct mounting location. Also the linkage and shifter are all with the tranny. Using the existing 240 289 bellhousing. It also had both bolt patterns. Thanks for the post. :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
You'd be amazed at how many of these top loaders have been changed to met specific cars, not the one they were made for. I also have a 64-65 Fairlane tranny with 390 input shaft. Didn't even put 390 in those. The one I found was suppose to be for a Mustang, but had the Galaxies tail on it and didn't fit. Image that. Word to the wise, check everything before you buy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Better find the original mounts first they're tough to find. Everything's on hold after checking again for rust underneath, found a small hole in the frame 3 weeks before it gets fixed. Also drive shaft is way to long have to cut it down. More stuff to figure out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Day 2 motor tranny and shifter in. Shifter is just touching the dash so it needs to be manipulated or maybe a new shifter. Tranny support was okay but the tranny mount was too thick so re reused an old motor mount and made it work. Driveshaft going for shortening Monday. Still need alt pulley and some carb linkage

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
What's that square hole that's been cut into the transmission mount for?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
This is a side shot of the tranny mount, you can see the natural bend in it, make sure the bend is on the front side or the mounts will be out. You can see it gives tranny the proper spacing and angle for the drive shaft on

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Under further investigation I see the 67 should have the Ford shifter, which I have but it's on a 64-65 Fairlane Toploader. It's not near as good as the Hurst that came with this one so I just have to put the torch to this one and give it a bend. We also had to make some clearance on the tunnel for the shifter rods. Couple of pounds with a hammer fixed it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
You can't shorten the driveshaft due to its design. You need a new 3 .5 inch tube and yokes. Or find a 3.5 inch one with the yokes already on. I'm trying one out of a 64 Merc pickup. It's too long but has the proper yokes. The sleeve that slips into the tranny is only 4 inchs long with the original being 6. Might also be able to use original yoke.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts