Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Driveshaft finally in. Accessories in place. Needed a crank pulley, alternator bracket and water pump pulley. Make sure you get the correct size water pump pulley (6"). Headers dont fit on drivers side, collectors hit clutch assembly. 6 cylinder alternator works for 289 make sure you remove water pump spacer or it wouldn't line up. Now the search for exhaust manifolds/ headers starts. I have a line on both. Included pic of new driveshaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Same results, drivers manifold is aimed right at linkage with only about 5 inchs to spare. Its also right against steering box. So, "final answer" stock exhaust with collector aimed straight back or further forward aimed down. Had a car show in town and met a few guys who may have both types, find out more this week.

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
They look identical to the 351w's, left side aimed at clutch linkage. I've found 2 types of stock manifolds at the same place. Which ones go on a 67 Galaxie with a standard, the ones that exit straight back at the firewall or the ones that aim down at a 45 degree angle at the 3rd exhaust collector?, similar to the 351w's but further forward?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Well its running cant post a video. Running open exhaust gor now. Found a manifold that works for now. Mufflers down the road literally. Going to road test it tomorrow, Im sure the neighbours will enjoy it

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Unibody header don't work. I gave up. 69/70 351 cast exhaust manifolds have large ports and exhaust pipe opening. Ford used same manifolds into late 70's on vans and other cars. Exhaust/muffler shop should be able to bend up some pipes. I've read the inexpensive headers for the 90's F150's will fit but 1960-74 Ford Full Size – Waldron's Exhaust (waldronexhaust.com) never tried or bothered. 1969 full size Ford came with a 351 as option and should fit a 67 body. You might try . Sorry the copy paste thing puts it in middle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I had 351 exhaust on it and the drivers side was only inches away from the zbar. Got one that exits half way back so there's room to go around. Im going to use this for a start and the next suggestion from my performance shop are Headman block huggers
Took it down the eoad and clutch is done not sure how that happened so tranny out this weekend. I think I up loaded the video. Find out shortly

·
Registered
63 Posts
I might just be getting old, lazy, and cranky, but for the 5 or 6 added horsepower you get with block hugger headers, it doesn't seem worth the time and aggravation for fitment and having to deal with added heat in the engine compartment. I was going to try to put the shorty headers on my 64 Galaxie with a 390 this summer, until I researched it thoroughly. The long tube headers add 15 or 16 horsepower. They pose a lot more fitment problems though. To make a long story short, when I do my exhaust this summer, I'm keeping the stock exhaust manifolds. They don't leak, have no cracks, have no clearance issues, or engine temperature issues. I guess in this instance Ford had a pretty good design. Plus I'm getting to old to hotrod the old girl and tear things up. Like I said " I'm lazy" and I was never very fond of fixing things I break out of stupidity.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
As far as I can remember the full size bodies angled the manifold outlet toward the ground and rearward around last 2 ports on drivers side, it would clear crossmember and z bar. If the cast manifolds angle outward they are for Mustang/Cougar or Torino/Montego. At one point in time I went to DIY center and bought angles of pvc and pipe. Built a mock up of what I needed. Took it to muffler shop and they bent up the pieces to fit, they did fit. They also told me they never saw anyone do that before. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Please don't drive with open manifolds under hood. Had to put out more than 1 fire.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts