Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the proud owner of a 1960 Falcon with 144 ci straight 6. From what I was told, it has been sitting in a shed/barn since 1994. The engine wants to run but doesn't seem to be getting any gas. The shop replaced the gas tank, fuel lines, sending unit, and fuel pump, as well as a quick carb rebuild. It appears to have gas and will start if gas is added to the bowl.

I pulled the fuel line off the carb and the fuel pump is not pushing any fuel. I had a discussion with a guy about possibly needing to prime the pump, does any one have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
welcome to the forum.....
you must be Ziggy's sister....

I would still check fuel line connecting tank to hard line for cracks...
also check hard line kinks/flattened or rust hole..

verify that fuel pump is working,
put a hose on suction side other end of hose into a can with some fuel in it..
if its working, pump will draw fuel from can and car should fire up..
then you know problem is further down the line....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion! The plan is to ensure the sending unit is working and that I am getting fuel to the pump. If I am but still not getting fuel to the carb, I am going to pull the pump off and make sure the arm was installed in the proper location on the lobe. I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, it's my sister.

IT LIVES! The shop we got it from spent a lot of money trying to get it running; new tank, new sending unit, new lines, new pump, rebuilt carb, new cap, new wires, new plugs, new battery. I'm guessing they had someone with little classic experience working on it, they took the old crusty fuel filter off the old pump AND PUT IT ON THE NEW ONE! 15 min and $5 later, it runs.

Getting this bad boy off to a good start. Brakes are next :).

-Zig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts