Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it to the dragstrip for a Test & Tune session
, but I was pretty disappointed with my 60' times (best was a 2.2
. I didn't have traction problems, I was able to stall my converter to 2000 RPM (I stood on the brake so it was holding the rear tires also), and I staged as shallow as possible. I still need to fine tune my carb jetting and ignition timing, but are there other things I can do to improve these times? Or am I just limited by my converter?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's a 2.28 60-foot time.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Does it roll out kind of slow and then pick up and take off? That is a classic symptom of understall and too high geared. If you are having hesitation, bog or stumble problems immediately coming off the line thats in the carb and possibly timing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does roll out a little slow and then takes off. I hope to be able to improve these times once I've dialed-in the jetting and timing, but I'm not sure if there's any other launch techniques that might help. Between the tight converter and the 4.62 gears, I seem to be able to overpower the brakes at slightly over 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Definitely not enough converter and/or too much cam.

302's don't make a lot of low end power, they need to be wound up a bit, and therefore need loose converters.

If you give your cam measurements @ 0.050" and it's lobe seperation, I'm sure someone could recommend a matching converter. Knowing the rest of the engine (and car) combo would also help.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the details in the MyCar section is current.

I think my mistake was being too conservative with the converter choice because of concerns about heat with street driving. What I have runs pretty cool, so I think I could easily run a converter in the 3500 - 4000 stall range.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd say go for the throat and install something that will flash to at least 4k. Should be night and day differance.
Then swap that carb out for a 650dp. Do you run at Bandimere?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 6/1/02 9:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am running at Bandimere. So far, it's just been a Test & Tune session, but that's got me hooked!

There's plenty of tuning I still need to do, and I'm planning on running open headers next time to see if it improves my times. Then comes jetting and timing adjustments, not to mention more practice on burnouts and starts.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I just checked out the car's specs...

It sounds like you've got an EXCELLENT combination there, except for two things.

1. Way too tight converter. This is the reason for the lazy 60ft times.

2. WRONG carb. If it was a 750 Edelbrock, it would be acceptable. (E-bok carbs seem to be over rated as far as flow is concerned) A BIGS worked 650 double pumper would be ideal.

A 8 or 9 inch converter, combined with the right carb would turn your car into a totally different animal!

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts