Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 mustang coupe running a 302. The car runs a mid 13 quarter but I can't seem to improve the 2.0 60 ft times. The converter is a TCI unit (2500). I leave the line @ 2000. The rear is a locker with a 4.30 using simple slapper bars and slicks. What can I do to improve my 60 ft times?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Are you spinning? Is the engine not getting 'in its torque range', (i.e. need looser converter)?. Is the engine bogging? What are the symptoms, besides your thinking 2.0 is a bad 60 foot? For a 13 second et, 2.0 isn't bad.
Tell us what exactly the car is doing, and we'll try and assist. If the poor 60 foots are the reason the car's only pulling 13's, well then..........but if the car's hooking up, and putting it down, other things obviously need looking into..........

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Not sure if BuiltFordTough was just curious about the reaction time or not but it does not affect the 60ft time.You can sit there for five minutes once the light turns green but your time doesn't start until you move and break the beam at the starting line.I also have a mid 13 second car with 4.11s and a 4-speed running McCreary's for tires.My best 60ft has been a 1.97 but its usually in the 2.0s range.I will be working on this, this summer trying better tires and I have adjustable shocks I haven't really been able to play with yet.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The biggest disadvantage you have is the stall. It probably needs more like around a 3500 but I'm just guessing since you didn't mention your cam spec's. If more stall isn't an option try launching it from a lower rpm or off idle so you get a harder hit(assuming your tires will still hook up).

In general, if you are running a lower stall you want to do everything possible to fatten up your lower end torque. That may mean changing to a smaller carb, dual plane manifold and smaller headers. Its usually easier to just get more stall.

Some carb adjustments can help your 60 foot sometimes. You want to set up your accelerator pumps to match the way you are launching. Putting the volume of the shot in faster by running one size larger squirters can sometimes help give it more punch. You can also try putting the front shot in on the #2 hole so you have more shot with the throttle rotated open some. Try some pump cams that put more volume in.

Another thing that delays the motor getting up on its feet is the power valve. It is preferable to have the car set so the power valve is open at the line. If it is closed you are staged on the economy side of the carb and you can have a leanout situation for a brief moment after you nail it up. All this does is slow you down coming out of the hole. Just tape a vacuum gauge up on the windshield and load the motor up to your launch point and see what it reads. You want a power valve that is starting to open at this point if possible. This may mean running a different rated valve if you can or removing the power valve and jetting up in some cases.

Another thing that will slow the motor down coming off the line is being partially advanced on the timing. Make sure all your timing is coming in sooner so that you are launching with the timing totalled out or as close to total timing as possible.

You should be able to get you 60 foot down to a low 1.9x if you set it up good.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cam is a comp-cam xe274h---.520/.523 w/274/286. The car seems to hook just fine most of the time with 26-10.5 tires. There seems to be no noticeable bog coming off of the line. The pump shot is at #2 and the 30cc unit is empty at full throttle. The power valve I did change for this year from 4.5 to 8.5. This did help get rid of the surging at the line; too lean. I will have to check again to see if I need to go higher. The timing I will have to double check. I don't remember if it is in at 2500 or 3000 @38 degrees with 18 degrees to start. As for BuiltFordTough, at the last race I had .507, .509, .519, and a .476 red. I think these reaction times will do, you think?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts