Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking, if I weren't a Galaxie lover, what other 60's convertible (full size) would I want in my garage.

I think I settled on the 1962 Olds Starfire, especially in Honduras maroon.

I love the 500XL interiors, but that 62 Olds had an interior that I think would give the 500XL a run for it's money.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Comments welcome.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Not specifically a 60's cars but I've always thought they should have made a 72 Gran Torino ragtop. A friend had formal rook one years ago and we always talked about making a roadster out of it. Late 60's Cutlass's always appealed to me and also the full sze 60's Pontiacs looked good as drop tops.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got this for my wife. Cool little car, but I like heavier stuff. Maybe a 61 T Bird convert, or even a big Lincoln!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There's oa '60? lincoln out here probably still for sale. 30k obo It is beautiful though but i'm too cheap to pay that for any car, even the shotrod held for ransom. :)

I think maybe '69 pontiac of any model, not anything to look at but it's my favorite year/make. Not sure bout a firebird, prefer as catalina or bonneville, the big boats.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I went for an intermediate convertible, it would be a 66 or 67 442 or GTO.

If I went for a intermediate hardtop, 69 Cyclone CJ 428.

Don't know where to classify the 64 Grand Prix, but they were classy cars.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
i like the 58-63 ThunderBirds..
here is a couple pictures of my brothers 1960 Tbird...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If I went for an intermediate convertible, it would be a 66 or 67 442 or GTO.

If I went for a intermediate hardtop, 69 Cyclone CJ 428.

Don't know where to classify the 64 Grand Prix, but they were classy cars.
The Grand Prix would be full size until 69 when it went on the mid size frame like the Monte Carlo.

I love the '67 Grand Prix myself or the Grand Parisienne as they called them up here.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I started thinking, if I weren't a Galaxie lover, what other 60's convertible (full size) would I want in my garage.

I think I settled on the 1962 Olds Starfire, especially in Honduras maroon.

I love the 500XL interiors, but that 62 Olds had an interior that I think would give the 500XL a run for it's money.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Comments welcome.
Never was a big fan of convertibles but I remember seeing about a 69 GTX vert years ago that was hot hot hot! Or maybe it was the blonde behind the wheel... ;)

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There was a '62 starfire at the junkyard in CA in Mojave. Was HT though but not a speck of rust. I was checking it out for the frame, probably still have the pics somewhere.

The Parisienne of the early 80s weren't very highly thought of. I saw one at a friends car lot when car shopping and that one along with another of the same year almost he said don't buy they're junk. I didn't like the body style any way, too boxy. The little Sunfires were cute but they seemed to have issues too. Wonder where those are, only seen a couple, forgot the year but sure liked it but had transmission issues, it was 4 speed i think.

That Tbird is sure perty!!

I'm really not sure i would want another convertible though, prefer to have a hardtop since already have a soft top.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Before I bought my Galaxie, I was actually looking for one of these, but gave up as a good one was about impossible to find.

1961 Plymouth Fury

A car of almost indescribable ugliness, and gawd, that science-fiction face! The car resembles some 1960s Japanese monster movie creature, like Mothra....

Another view of that face:

An "outer space" dash and the "howitzer shell" tail lamps just seem to add to the weirdness:

Mike

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never was a big fan of convertibles but I remember seeing about a 69 GTX vert years ago that was hot hot hot! Or maybe it was the blonde behind the wheel... ;)
When I put the hardtop on my 03 TBird for the winter, it gives it a real nice look, much better than the soft top look.

But, when the weather gets warmer, I can't wait to get the hard top off and stored in the garage.

I remember reading something long time ago that many considered station wagons to be the nicest looking cars. Some of the late 50's and 60's wagons were pretty sharp.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Astro, wasn't that many years ago that i saw one of those steering wheels for the first time. It belonged, the car and all that is, to an elderly lady who was the original owner. Thought it was kinda cool but a face only a mother could love so to speak. lol Another ugly that i like is the citroen ds, 50-70s those are some uglies too.

I like the newer with the cat eye covers over the headlights but basically the same otherwise. Don't care for the mr bean models.

4490183821_8a7d20358a_z.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bembry, I'm GLAD you showed a side shot of that vert, cause front on it makes me wanna kick my own dog... :D
I mean the 63-65 Dart reminds me of a Studebaker Lark.... They didn't put much thought into the head on look, but the rest of it is a fine car to drive.
Yeah--they kind of look like a vacuum cleaner up front.

They seem to have been inspired by the Chrysler Turbine Car. The big round headlight bezels copy the intakes around the Turbine Car's lights. Those bezels are tough to get and expensive!

Lastly, that 61 Plymouth Fury posted later is awesome! Big, weird, ugly in a cool way! I've always loved those things, but agree with the poster: almost impossible to find a nice one.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I'm a little partial to the Pelican, but I have it since I was about twelve. My brother has a '69 Buick GS Stage 1 4 speed convertible. Pretty rare car. Yes, Gary it is rare. They made less than 100 4 speed Stage 1 convertibles... ;)

NOT HIS, BUT MY BROTHER'S IS JUST LIKE THIS ONE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts