Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 61 galaxie with a 427 4-speed i bought a set of i think hooker headers from jegs but they will not clear the clutch linkage. should i sell them and get a new set or modify the linkage and if so how? thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Altering clutch linkage and taking a chance on having it bind on account of tin headers is probably not the best way to go.

I'd suggest selling those headers and getting a set of factory '60-'64 shorty cast iron headers, necking up to 2.5" mandrel bend exhaust pipes. The flow will be nearly as good as with headers, sound great and be factory look.

Plus, cast iron headers are just cool.

JM2CW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the shorty cast iron on the car now.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Which bolt pattern you have on cyl. heads. The vertical pattern or the diagonal pattern?

My old books on Hooker indicate they do not fit autos with man. transmissions. Only fit automatics. Back when I installed their headers I had to use the Cruis-o-matic even though had all the parts for a four speed. (then the car got stolen and had to sell off the man. trans items separately).

Wm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HI NEW TO THIS BOARD BUT THOUGHT I MIGHT BE OF SOME HELP HAD A 68 RANCHERO GT 390 4 SPEED AND HOOKERS WERE LIKE $400 BACK IN THE 80'S FIT LIKE A GLOVE DRIVERS SIDE WAS 3 PIECES AND THE ENGINE COMP WAS SUPER TIGHT. I WOULD DEF CHECK TO SEE IF THE ARE HOOKER'S AND THE RIGHT PART NUMBERHAVE A FEW FREINDS WHO USED THEN TOO AND NEVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heads are eddy heads aluminum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts