Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday took the frontend all apart to rebuild and add 70 LTD spindles and discs.

If anybody looking for original spindles or skinny sway bar....as in FREE...., let me know. Doubt anybody wants drums etc... they are going in trash.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just did the same thing,.....but I'm going to hang onto my stuff for a while,....at least until I'm sure everything is going to work out the way I think it will.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got an Addco 1" bar off ebay. I put a caliper on the old one and it is a hair bigger than 5/8". Free if somebody wants it or else its trash or might save for scrap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a problem with the Addco 1" bar fitting. There is no space between the bottom of the frame and the top of the lower control arm with the 1" sway bar in there. The bar is sitting in there with no bushing or U bolt to the frame and I cannot move the bar away from the frame to add the bushing/bracket.

I am thinking the Rare Parts offset eliminator kit moves the front of the lower control arm up and reduces the space allowed for the sway bar. Guess I need to put the old 5/8" sway bar back in but I have to take the whole frontend apart to do that thanks to all the bends in the bar.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you know if the backing plate for the drum brakes or the same size for the front and back wheels? Need a replacement for my rear passenger side

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Keep us posted on your sway bar progress BlownT. Im in the midst of rebuilding my front end ('64) and would be interested to know if there are big issues with the addco 1" sway bar and the offset eliminator kit.

I know I don't think I could have gotten the old sway bar out with out dropping one of the lower control arms.

Did you take a pic of how the old one was routed. I want to say I saw a post about the addco not fitting but then they realized it was routed wrong..Or else I am just senile.

good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do you know if the backing plate for the drum brakes or the same size for the front and back wheels? Need a replacement for my rear passenger side.

The fronts might be the same diameter but they are formed different and have different bolt patterns. The fronts have 3 bolts I believe and the rear bolts to the axle tubes with the 4 T bolts. When I get around to doing the rear disc brake kit, you can have the rear backing plates if you want them.

I am not positive but I don't see why any 9" backing plate would not work. There is a small bearing and a big bearing with the 9" so that might make a difference. When I built the T bucket I used a 76 Cougar 9" and those backing plates looked pretty much the same as my 63.5. They are long gone though with the Wilwood disc brake kit on there now.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I have a problem with the Addco 1" bar fitting. There is no space between the bottom of the frame and the top of the lower control arm with the 1" sway bar in there. The bar is sitting in there with no bushing or U bolt to the frame and I cannot move the bar away from the frame to add the bushing/bracket.

I am thinking the Rare Parts offset eliminator kit moves the front of the lower control arm up and reduces the space allowed for the sway bar. Guess I need to put the old 5/8" sway bar back in but I have to take the whole frontend apart to do that thanks to all the bends in the bar.
Blown T, I am using a Quickor 1" front and 7/8ths rear bar. I have "NO" problems with the front bar. I don't understand why you don't have any clearance. Don

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heres some pics I took. You can see how tight it is. Thinking I will mark on the frame where the bar crosses the frame. Then undo the swaybar links and see if I can roll it up some and get enough space to get the bushings and bracket on and get it bolted to the frame. I definently do not want to have to take frontend apart again.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the reply. That is encouraging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts