Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the process of mocking up some custom motor mounts for putting a 302 into a '63 Fairlane. It started off as a 6 cylinder, and I don't have any original v8 mounts, which is one of the reasons I'm making my own for cheap.

What I'm wondering is if there's anybody out there who could help me pin down a fairly precise location for the engine within the bay? Basically I only need 2 measurements:

1. I need to know how far the rear of the engine block is from the firewall. That is, the actual distance from the bellhousing mounting flange on the BLOCK, to the firewall itself.

2. To find out the vertical location of the engine within the bay, I need to know the distance between the stock tubular crossmember and the bottom of the stock oil pan.

If there's anybody out there with an original 221/260/289 in their 62-65 Fairlane, it would be an enormous help if you could share these measurements with me. I'm actually adapting later Mustang-style motor mounts into this chassis, mainly because they're so incredibly cheap (got mine for 5 dollars each on Rockauto) and are also readily available for when they need to be replaced. Normally I'd just fit it in there as low down and as far back as I could possibly get it, but since I'm going to be eventually buying Hooker headers for it, it's probably best that it's in the stock location so there aren't any clearance issues. If all works out, I plan to post up the results on here and some dimensions for anybody who wants to give it a shot themselves.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I can help you with one of your questions, not running stock tubular under brace with, Coil overs, pwer rack & pinion.
I was going to hold that tubular brace in place, for a rough measurement, but, i realized my Shelby deep sump oil pan wouldn;t give you the measurement you want.
The distance from the actual mounting flange on the bell, to the firewall is - 2 cm. about 3/4" this is the top 2 mounting bolt locations, & running a 70's 302/C-4.
My motor mounts are 62 with a simple flat steel plate to accomodate the wider bolt pattern.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, thanks a bunch! Wow, that's a lot less clearance than I originally thought.

I don't have a C4, I actually have a top loader, and the aluminum bellhousing im using has a 3/4" thick flange on it. Assuming this is roughly the same on all aluminum Ford bellhousings, it sounds like that's going to put the very rear of the block itself (from the bellhousing mounting flange on the block) about 1.5" away from the firewall.

Good to know, this helps a lot!

And actually, I don't know if there would be much of any difference between the depth of our oil pans in the spot where you'd be measuring. Assuming they're both front-sump pans, they'd likely have roughly the same clearance in the rear to accommodate any crossmembers.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other really simple measurement that would definitively give me the height of the motor within the bay, that's why I was basing it off the crossmember.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Run a string or a stick across the fenders and measure down to a point on the motor. measure from the center of the intake to the firewall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There ya go. And that way nobody has to crawl under a car. ;)

You'd probably have to go off the top of the timing cover tho, since everybody has different intakes/valve covers.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm middle of a conference call, will do that measure. soon as finished, u can tell i;m really paying attention to the other 9 people on this call,eh!
gime an hour

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have recently done this same conversion to my 63. i swapped my 200 w/fordomatic to a 302 w/c4. i happen to have a set of motor mounts for a small block. all you would need is 2 short lengths of angle iron and some hardware. but if you look around you can find them. or maybe i just got lucky

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, but I'd rather try my method first... If it doesn't work though, I might break down and buy some originals.

roger, got any updates yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts