Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 62 Mercury Monterey wagon and my 60 Sunliner. The Sunliner needed too much body work. I bought a 62 Mercury Monterey Convertible. Here's a rendering of what it will look like. Don't get caught up on the colors. The colors will be blue/silver and the rendering doesn't exactly match.

I posted a pic listed below the rendering of exactly what the car looked like when I bought it. Some of the body and engine parts where in the trunk. I pulled parts from my Starliner and used parts that were going to go into my 60 Sunliner. I also borrowed the wheels that were supposed to go into my 61 wagon project. I will post more pics in a few weeks after frame work and paint are complete.

Work done so far included Gearhead Vendors upper and lower A arms, Air Ride front bags, and a Rack and Pinion set up. I am removing the X brace and doing some custom frame work to make room for the 4 link.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I like it. It looks solid. What do have planned in the way of an engine? How custom is the body and interior going to be?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't plan on any body modifications. Most of the modifications were to the frame. Not sure on interior yet as I can't afford it so I will run stock interior for now.

I would have liked to put a 390 or 427 in but I had a freshly built 352 sitting in the garage with rebuilt tranny so I am putting that in along with the FPA Headers that were supposed to go into my 60 Sunliner and a Tri-power intake for looks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Fakesnake, you have the coolest projects, I'm not a big fan of the 62 Galaxies because of the look of the rear but that Merc looks right. Good luck with it.
Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn Fakesnake...thats going to be one cool ride. But more than that, its going to be very unique. I can't wait to see it come together.
Im having Skip at Streetnoyz put a system in my Galaxie this week, i saw he did yours too.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Fake, you are single handedly making me a Mercury convert! That is way too cool. I only have one regret with our vert and that is that I didn't talk my dad into letting me put bigger wheels on. Your rendition looks super good with those wheels on it.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you. How did your Gearheads sway bar mounting turn out?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow...coming together quick! Is that a shop up in Escondido?
Looks like the convertible frame x brace is history!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...coming together quick! Is that a shop up in Escondido?
Looks like the convertible frame x brace is history!

Yes, the shop is in Escondido. Correct, removed the X brace to make room for the 4 link and then will weld in a cross brace in rear and in front for the transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
*Snickers*

I spy with my little eye something that doesn't quite belong. I can't tell if it's on the passenger side as well, but wow...that's redneck engineering right there!

(Hint....look behind the driver front tire. It's peeking out for the pic)

That suspension looks killer. I'd love to have that setup in mine!

Quick question...the brake booster...is it supposed to be all black? Mine is natural aluminum, but that might have been painted long ago.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*Snickers*

I spy with my little eye something that doesn't quite belong. I can't tell if it's on the passenger side as well, but wow...that's redneck engineering right there!

(Hint....look behind the driver front tire. It's peeking out for the pic)

That suspension looks killer. I'd love to have that setup in mine!

Quick question...the brake booster...is it supposed to be all black? Mine is natural aluminum, but that might have been painted long ago.
Where you speaking of the spacers that were installed in the springs? Also, the booster on my other 62 was black as well. I'm not sure if they came that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes sir, I'm talking about those spacers...or big nuts...

I think my booster was also painted black from the factory, but it all flaked off over time. I found traces of black paint in the plastic insert where the master cylinder bolts to. I think it would look sharp just bead blasted and clearcoated (what I intend to do, if I can find a master cylinder that will work with it).

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the custom radiator back. I had it fit into shroud. The custom designed overflow bottle just barely squeezes in between battery tray. With the fans I will have a lot more clearance then my stock set up. Here's some pics. I also put a pic of the frame lowered w/bags on.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Fakesnake, did you brace the door openings when you took the body off? I'm working on a 61 Sunliner and have been thinking about taking the body off to make it easier to clean up the frame and rebuild the suspension but I am afraid of tweaking the body. Also how did you lift the body?
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nice progress. I really like what you've done so far. That radiator is too sweet! Love to have that much clearance.

I still haven't installed the gearheads sway bar. I took her for a ride yesterday and she needs it soon. Although, in a straight line she's a pretty good time for a big girl.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts