Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, first of many posts to be sure. Here is my issue: saved my baby from the yard...did a rebuild on the engine, (did not change water pump and t-stat) Drove her on the hiway for about 30 minutes at 55mph, started to run a little hot, parked it, heard coolant boiling, and it puked some out the overflow hose. OK, so put in a 195 tstat and flushed the radiator. Drove her this morning about the same time and distance. Did not hear the coolant boiling but puked some coolant out (note: the coolant was FULL to the top of the radiator) I am going to put in a 180 t-stat tonight -- water pump appears to be ok. Thoughts/suggestions? Im open to anything

on the guage it reads a little past dead middle, it does not spike, the needle does not leave the little circle...

note #2, I live in south GA and it is HOT, pretty much year round, in the 'winter' it gets to 40 degr MAYBE a few days in late Dec....

thanks!

Geoff

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you are filling it to the top it will keep spitting it out unless you add in a recovery tank and keep it at the fill line on it. I did that to my 64 that has a v/8 , works good. It sounds like the temp is about right to me. I'v owned my 64 since it was a new car and it has all ways stayed about half way over on the gauge after warm up. You can all ways add in a mechanical after market temp gauge if you are unsure about the original one. You don't want it running to cold,that's as bad as to hot. You will get a lot of build up of crap running to cold. I'v used both 180 and 195 stats . How good is the radiator ? You can get bigger ones than what came in them for most cars.:)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Coolant expands when heated. That is the source of the expelling coolant. The level when cold (after expelling) is the proper coolant level for the system.

Of course a recovery tank will eliminate a lot of problems (air being drawn into the system).

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Coolant expands when heated. That is the source of the expelling coolant. The level when cold (after expelling) is the proper coolant level for the system.

Of course a recovery tank will eliminate a lot of problems (air being drawn into the system).
Great aspect for those willing to go the extra mile for their classic! Not original, but safer in the long haul!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts