Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I was referred over here by Slck64 (He's known as something else on my other car club), and it seems this is the place to come to for my restomod needs.

I'm Bradley, and I live in Cocoa Florida. I bought back in Feb this year a '62 Galaxie 500 4-door with the 390 T-Bird and only 46k original miles on it, though it has sat for quite some time. It ran when I brought it to my home, but not well, and just about every gasket had failed, so I started tearing into it.

Well, fast-forward to a week ago. I finally tore the heads off the car (well, one side anyways), and found scoring on one cylinder wall, and pitting on all the pistons. I was hoping to stay away from a rebuild, but now it looks like I have little choice other than doing the 429/460 swap (which I bought the conversion kit on ebay for 80 bucks shipped...you can't beat that!), but I really like the look of the FE engines, plus the T-Bird covers really look good now that I refinished them.

Anyways, I know that it would be a sin for me to not post any pictures. I don't have any pics in it current state, but I do have these...

(By the way, that is the original plate for this car)

Where I am going with the engine...or was...depending on what I decide now. Wrinkle finish everything that is supposed to be black (not only does it look cool, and is old-school, but also serves the purpose of heat dissipation which this engine will sorely need here in Florida), and a Holley 750 that I rebuilt (new throttle plate I bought for under 70 bucks). Valve covers are original and refinished in silver as they should be for '62 Galaxie applications.

Where I am at right now. This is what is holding up my progress...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice score right there...she looks totally complete and the interior is in great shape. If you want to send me those valve covers they would look sweet on my car...haha.
keep the progress pics comin' and welcome from a fellow 6-2 owner.
~Nailz

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Nice car. You are going to have a sweet driver when you are done. What all do you have planned for the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the complements guys! My plans for this car....well, I bought it as a father/son project, and should be completed by the time he is able to turn the keys (he will be 10 this November, so I have plenty of time). Since concours restoration is out of the question due to funding, restomod is the way I'm headed with it.

So far, I have redone the gauge cluster (removed the inop clock and replaced with a Sunpro voltmeter that I took apart, scanned the face in, recolored the image to closely resemble the factory colors, printed new face, then reassembled), adding blue LED backlighting to the speedometer to give it that neo-retro look, and currently redoing the cluster lens...repaint, new numeral paint, etc. That will take a steady hand and much patience.

Engine-wise...alternator upgrade (40 bucks for everything I needed from the junkyard, and it's all new components), and I am well aware of the block issue now (Originally had a generator setup on it, and I am missing the boss needed for the alternator, so I need to find a low-buck...i.e. backyard...solution.), plan on doing the electronic ignition upgrade. Stock intake manifold/panzer tank armor has been ported already, plus the 750 CFM Holley carb. Planning on electric fuel pump, and electric cooling fans, to take away parasitic drag from the engine. I have newly rebuilt heads for it, BUT...they are lower-compression emissions heads, and not well-suited for what I want to do. I might install AC, but as much as this car will be driven, it might not be worth it.

Interior will be a total redo. I'm thinking about Pontiac Bonneville SSE/SSEi 9-way seats, but mounting the control console for them would be difficult. In any event, I want to install a console and go bucket seats up front, and get rid of the column shift. Again, this will be low-buck but high functionality. Plus, I want cupholders.

Brakes...doing the disc conversion up front. Rear suspension will be automatic load-leveling, with air pump mounted in the trunk. I will either use a level sensor, or use several pressure switches to shut the compressor off (or turn it on) to keep air at a constant pressure.

I'm shooting for streetability by the time the Daytona Turkey Run in November happens. By the way, I'm not new to automotive or mechanics, and I have several projects under my belt...one of which involved wiring in a GM OBD2 computer (97 vintage) to run a Series 1 L67 (3800 supercharged, 1993 vintage). While that doesn't seem hard on the surface, the differences between a 93 and a 97 GM 3800 are vast, as are their computers. HP Tuners came in real handy.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Sounds like we have similar ideas of how a 62 should look :) I put Subaru buckets in mine and will be putting in a center console eventually. I also removed the column shifter and went to a floor shifter.

to make it all look right I installed a Mustang steering column and wheel.

I also removed the old clock to make a home for a gage only I replaced mine with a tach.

I am going to make a gage pod similar to a Mustang rally pack for oil,
temp, and volts.

·
Registered
645 Posts
When you replace your interior, would you keep me in mind if you decide to sell the seats or any other interior parts? I have a 62 4 door that I plan to make into a Mayberry police car with my grandson some day. My interior is the same color as yours, but almost completely destroyed.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a 61 that I installed 63XL buckets and console into and used the XL steering column as the shifter was in the console. It looks great in the car but I am not real happy about the lack of adjustability without any power?

I bought a pair of Bonneville buckets to use but they were to big for my 61. With the power base and the shape of the floor even if I removed the head rest they were tall and were to wide to fit in a decent console. So be sure and do some careful measuring before you purchase seats.

Scott...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hello all...
Hey Mr. S,
My welcome to your arrival at FM. And I may just be a LITTLE prejudiced, but I'm pulling for your keeping the FE 390. That lovely old Gal would love you to pieces if you kept her the way she was originally.

Great project, and I'm very sympatico.

OH, BTW... You're going to have to have a name for her! :)

Hope you are well.

JC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a pair of Bonneville buckets to use but they were to big for my 61. With the power base and the shape of the floor even if I removed the head rest they were tall and were to wide to fit in a decent console. So be sure and do some careful measuring before you purchase seats.
Thanks for the tip. The Bonneville rear seat looked real good back there, but I'm guessing the fronts will require more work than I am willing to do.

When you replace your interior, would you keep me in mind if you decide to sell the seats or any other interior parts? I have a 62 4 door that I plan to make into a Mayberry police car with my grandson some day. My interior is the same color as yours, but almost completely destroyed.
My interior wasn't that great either. The seats, though complete, didn't react too well to my cleaning supplies, so the vinyl isn't the best now...

Progress made today...I actually muscled the car into the garage, and wanna know something...it FITS! But...I had to do something...

...which is fine, since everything I took off...was trashed.

And now it will fit with this much to spare...

(And no, that isn't a Cylon in the background...it's my new welding outfit)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts