Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is probably a dumb question but on a 62 gal does the top hose on heater route to the thermostat or the water pump? I want to hook up a water temp gauge with mechanical sensor. The only port on my intake is not deep enough to take the probe so I'm going to put a T in the heater hose and put the probe there. Do I T the hose from the water pump to the heater or the hose from thermostat to the heater?
Any one done this?

Motor is a new crate motor 302 small block.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK this is probably a dumb question but on a 62 gal does the top hose on heater route to the thermostat or the water pump? I want to hook up a water temp gauge with mechanical sensor. The only port on my intake is not deep enough to take the probe so I'm going to put a T in the heater hose and put the probe there. Do I T the hose from the water pump to the heater or the hose from thermostat to the heater?
Any one done this?

Motor is a new crate motor 302 small block.
The hot water flows from the thermostat to the water pump. Put it in the hose from the thermostat to the heater to get a more accurate reading. The return will be cooler since the heater core acts like a small radiator.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
The bottom heater hose is hotter, it is supposed to come from the intake/thermostat. This bottom-up flow prevents air bubbles from forming in the core.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I resolved my issue. Looking over at the 302 I took out of the galaxie it had a thermostat housing with the boss to drill and tap out. luckily I had a 3/8 pipe tap and tapped it out and that will work great.It didnt take 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
How did plugging into the thermostat housing work out?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
puttser I resolved that by using the old thermostat housing off the 302 I pulled out of the car it had the type that had a boss for a hole so I drilled that out and tapped it for 3/8 " npt.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
I saw that, i was wondering if you were satisfied with how it was working?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting a reading but when I started it up the first time I discovered the heater core was leaking. A heavy fog was rolling out under dash and just under where the core would be felt wet so I shut her down and tore out the core. No radiator shops close by so I ordered a core. By the way On my search for the core could not find one then a little more research resulted in fiding out the core for 62 fairlane is exactly the same as the galaxie. Most wanted 80 plus for it I got it for 58 so be aware of that when searching for a heater core,

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
I, and some other folks, found out the most popular (auto zone, etc) heater cores said to be "exact fit" were on the small side. I could see the air was just going to pass around the core so I packed foam all around it to block the sidestream. Did not work as hoped but I'm not going back in there again.
Maybe it's just the 65-era cars, just something to watch for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I seen those but the one I got was 56.00 not 99.00. I'm a cheapskate. Trying to watch my budgit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just an update. Got my 56.00 heater core and it worked great. No more fog rolling out from under dash. The temp probe worked good too. The only thing I dont like is it has no reading untill the thermostat opens. Now I'm going to verify the timming as per Blue Print recomendation and take it to the transmission shop to have him fine tune it. Luckily back when I had the dash out I replaced that pesky fresh air duct (high dollar item) and when I went to reinstall the heater unit it went right on and didnt tear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well just an update. Got my 56.00 heater core and it worked great. No more fog rolling out from under dash. The temp probe worked good too. The only thing I dont like is it has no reading untill the thermostat opens. Now I'm going to verify the timming as per Blue Print recomendation and take it to the transmission shop to have him fine tune it. Luckily back when I had the dash out I replaced that pesky fresh air duct (high dollar item) and when I went to reinstall the heater unit it went right on and didnt tear.
A little late now, but if you drill a small 1/16" hole in the thermostat itll let the temp gauge read before it opens, itll let air out so the system is easier to fill, and its small enough it doesn't over cool.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Tim C that is a very great idea. I will keep that in mind if I ever take the thermostat out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts