Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my car was riding too high, but it turns out the spring shackles had been flipped, placing the spring under the frame mount. I went to put the springs back above the bracket and, because they are new, they sprung and hit the body. Has anyone jacked them down in place in order to reinstall the shackle? Also, my shackle shafts are bent and the springs don't line up with the rear frame mount. Is this normal? I have tried a big C clamp, and a bottle jack, but can't get the new spring in position to but the bent shackle through the hole. There is nothing like being on your back on a piece of cardboard on the ground trying to muscle a leaf spring in place and start a nut with one hand.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I usually use two hands when handling my nuts! :^) Just kidding.

I replaced the whole shmear with Eaton springs, shackles....and the springs were lowered 2" to match the 2" lower coils in the front. I really didn't have any problems. Hope you get yours figured out.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
New shackle kits aren't very expensive from Autozone. I bought mine there. Can't remember the price but i'm cheap and if they were too much I would of used my old ones.

Could you jack the body up and use a pry bar to flip those shackles around? I think that's how mine were done years ago. The flipped shackles only made my springs bend down they were so weak.

Deb

·
Registered
981 Posts
I did mine the same way. My dad's friend looked at me funny when I said that I gotta reposition the shackles. He laughed and grabbed a long prybar and gave it a twist. I did have the body off the car making it easier. I made a mountain out of a mole hill on that deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed new springs and probably can't lift the car high enough with a floor jack to take the load off the rear end. The prybar was used to move the springs around the frame mount which released part of the load and drove them up into the floor. They have to come down below the frame rail and be positioned between the rail and the shackle mount in order to run the shackles and bushings through the spring and frame mount. Another c-clamp and chinese bottle jack should do the trick. I may buy another shackle kit if they are not normally bent.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
The shackles should be straight all way round. Meaning Sides and the bolts that go through the springs. How long of shackles do you have? It shouldn't have hit the floor. Unless I'm reading your post wrong. They are only about 4 or 5 inches long stock.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 11/30/06 1:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The springs must have a load on them. As I hit them with a hammer to clear the frame bracket they sprung up until they hit the bottom of the trunk floor. I will need to force them into place. I intend to order a shackle kit from Detroit spring. I guess after 44 years they have a right to be bent.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Oh i got ya, they aren't connected. That makes sense. Put a bumper jack on there to maybe get them down some by rasing the body maybe?
How much are the shackle kits from there? They are 12.99 at autozone. Save you some on shipping expense since you wouldn't need shipping from a local parts store.

Deb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts