Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 63/64 reproduction gas tank fit a 62? I'm having stalling problems and am switching back to a mechanical fuel pump from an electric and wonder if my tank is clogged?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't think it's a bolt in. The body grew longer in 1963 so the fill pipe is probably different.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Crites restorations has a fiberglass tank. I'm sure there must be somewhere that also has the steel types for a '62. 63/64s are probably different just like everything else with those years, they seem to be on thier own with a lot of stuff.

Deb

·
Registered
981 Posts
All I was told is that 61-63 have to install that years filler neck to be able to work. They are sold as 64's but if you do that it will work. Got mine from Auto City Classics in MN, look to Hemmings for ads etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my 60, I used the Crites fibergalss tank with NO problems. Same as 61, 62, 63, 64. Only thing i had to do was cut the fillerneck off of my original tank and attach it to the fiberglass one, also had to use a modern ( meaning 64 Galaxie ) gas cap, as the original 60 had a vent tube. The fiberglass is nice and sturdy, well built.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will wait. I checked the fuel and it is clean. I have to replace my sending unit again so I wil check the screen and see how it is. The tank looks the same but your right, the filler neck angle is the issue.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I have a gas gauge for the first time in 30 yrs. Isn't accurate, reads a hair over 3/4 when full but then the odometer/speedometer and who knows what else isn't accurate on that car so it fits in. Now to remember to look at it. It does read empty when empty also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts