Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 62 monterey here in the Uk. It's a project car and I'm slowly dealing with all of its issues. My current woe is the brake booster, it appears to be inoperable as have a rock hard brake pedal and very little braking power. The booster has 12 or so screws around the perimeter so I took it off and split the casing to find fluid inside. Surprisingly the diaphragm is in one piece with no splits and appears to be working still, but when I push the plunger in there is tiny escape if air although it is very slow the air appears to be escaping through the shaft seal.

Is this normal or should the seal be completely air tight? I'm guessing there should be a way for the air to escape to prevent blowing the diaphragm out, or is that not how this thing works?

Being in the UK poses me a problem as shipping this off to "Booster Dewey" is gonna cost me big bucks so was hoping I could rebuild it myself. Failing that then I guess a replacement booster would be the next cheapest option but what alternatives are available? Of course I assume the merc used the same booster as the galaxie??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i stripped it down, cleaned out the gunk, carefully loosened all the moving parts, WD40 and grease, carefully cleaned the seals, heavily greased all the joins and put it back together, now there is no leak!!!! When i now push in the plunger in it returns back to the starting position! Not sure if this is a more temporary solution but it appears to have worked to a certain degree

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was full of brake fluid, that means that your master cylinder is leaking.
Mixture of brake fluid and water! You could see the level it was filled up to on the inside casing as it has started to corrode slightly. Amazingly the rubber internals were all in tact!

Dual circuit master cylinder from a '68 Galaxie is on its way so once that's fitted hopefully it should stop!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the booster with a single master cylinder. I'll be off wen, and I'll take a picture and post it.
Yeah that's the one, i'd just put a dual master onto it. The only issue would be the mounting lug spacing as far as i know.
pic would be great, thank you!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah that's the one, i'd just put a dual master onto it. The only issue would be the mounting lug spacing as far as i know.
pic would be great, thank you!
Not to burst your bubble, but you may run into hood clearance problems with that booster and a dual chamber master cylinder. The bolt spacing will be the same with any Ford master cylinder. I ran into this exact issue on my '62 Galaxie and in the end, I just removed the power system all together and went to manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is going to sound like a really dumb question.
I know the union fittings on my car are currently 3/8" 24 tpi throughout.
However, my new dual master cylinder has holes much larger. Is it likely to be 9/16 x 18 tpi or is it something different? I've been to a few shops over here now and nobody has the correct reducing union :confused:

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Shipping is BEANS. I ship to Germany and the UK all the time :)

Your Master cylinder needs adapters. You can usually get them at a good hardware store or DIY in your neck of the world.

The threads going INTO the MC should be readable. If not just tell me what Master you have and I'll go get one and match the adapters up for you and mail them to you. Mailing to UK from here is normally only 4 or 6 days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shipping is BEANS. I ship to Germany and the UK all the time :)

Your Master cylinder needs adapters. You can usually get them at a good hardware store or DIY in your neck of the world.

The threads going INTO the MC should be readable. If not just tell me what Master you have and I'll go get one and match the adapters up for you and mail them to you. Mailing to UK from here is normally only 4 or 6 days.

A true gent!
I would gladly buy a pair from you, 4-6 days is no problem.
The MC I have is 68 galaxie drum/drum so both are the same.
It came with a light blue plastic threaded plug in each hole which has 2 thread types, one smaller than the other, on the same plug. It's the larger thread I need if that helps, reducing down to 3/8-24

I also need a tee block to plumb in my brake switch, can you supply one of those too with the correct fitting to go straight into the MC?

Thank you !!! :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The fitting you need to tee in the switch is a Weatherhead 652X3. Mine came from NAPA and it is sitting here waiting to be put on my 62.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After looking at the NEW one on "SnoWhite", then the one off the Mercury It has screw around it , where SW has a ring. The master cylinder looks new on the inside.
Yeah that's the one! It has lots of screws around the perimeter which separate the casings. It's the Merc version that i need. Here is my one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts