Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

62 Ranchero help

Tags
ranchero
2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Jacuzzi84 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I just purchased a 62 ranchero 170 3 speed auto. My issue is that it came with a battery that went dead on me so I went to Purchase a new one and was told I needed a different battery. I purchase a battery with 710 cold cranking amps rather than the 550 I had. I installed it it fired right up and I drove it for 20 minutes and parked it. When I removed the key the GEN light stayed on. A few minutes later my generator is smoking so I detach the battery. Verifying i didn't cross the wire which I believe I didn't. Return it for the same size battery that was in the car before and now the gen light stays on When the car is not running. I also feel like it still smell the burning so I have been detaching the battery when it's parked. Any help would be greatly appreciated on what I should do. More questions to come also. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
When replacing the battery on a generator system you have to polarize the voltage regulator failing to do so may and will damage both,

Whenever generator or regulator have been disconnected, the generator should be polarized after the units have been reconnected and before the engine is started. If this procedure is not followed, the generator or control box may be severely damaged.
To polarize the generator, place one end of a jumper wire firmly against the armature terminal on the control box and then touch the other end momentarily to the battery terminal of the control box This sends a surge of battery current through the generator and automatically gives the generator the correct polarity for the battery it is to charge.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am completely new to this car but not cars in general so can I ask for dumbed down version. I believe I know where the control box is I believe it's the thing humming when the battery is attached and the car is not running. But I am unsure as to what the armature area would be? I don't want to touch the wrong items ruining anything any more. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Ok so I believe I found what happened. Battery went bad replaced it but crossed the wires. Crazily the thing still started which I found can happen but is very rare. Doing this fried the voltage regulator and generator. While the car will still start and drive fine I ordered a generator and a voltage regulator to install on Wednesday. Parked the car and disconnected the battery until I get the parts. This a a semi project car so I am excited to get started working on it. Thanks for the advice 5.0 chero I will need it now. Actually sold my 89 5.0 and bought this car and I'm finding two totally different beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.