Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my interior back into my 63 1/2 Galaxie 2 door hardtop but need a little informational assistance. the car was pretty much disassembled when I got it including the interior. In rounding up all the necessary pieces and identifying them I find that the car came with a bundle of 10 headliner bows and I know some of them aren't even for this car. I've been unable to locate any descriptions of the headliner bows for the car so wondering if anybody has any photos or dimensions. Secondarily do the 63 fastback and 64 fastback share the same headliner?

TIA!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
you're about 3 weeks late. I had my headliner installed a few weeks ago, and would have willingly got them out and measured them for you if I had known.
It's a tough ask because once you're putting stuff back in you're on a roll and you want it NOW!!

I suspect you'll have to be patient because there is a limited time window during restorations that people are looking at them, and I do not think there is a specification out there for them. So, in my '69 Mustang they have a daub of coloured paint on the ends that denotes which order they go into the roof in, but I do not know if the same process was used with '63 Galaxie's but I would suspect so - have a look and see if you can identify any paint on the ends where they've been dipped or sprayed.

Then make sure you keep this thread alive and someone will come along to help.

Final thing, on the rear-most bow, there are two little steel 'boots' that go into the bow at the ends, and fit into a hole in the rear pillar - make sure you have these. I might have one spare if I can find it if you are looking for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally scored on my quest for headliner bow installation. From the windshield to the back window there are 5 bows with the front 3 being identical so location of those three isn't an obstacle or issue. The back 2 are similar to the front 3 on one end but the other end is essentially straight onto which the clip that Jiffy highlighted above. It appears that one clip is bent as pictured above and the other one is straight, at least they were on the car I removed them from. I'm fairly certain that this was an unmolested headliner original to the day it left the assembly line. Two of the bows in my car are not original and probably not Ford based on some other things I found in the totes full of parts that came with the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Excellent - glad you got some useful info and thanks for sharing it back here! Someone, somewhere will want the same help and be thankful you posted!! Well done, good luck with the car.

A little aside - I have been out in the garage a few nights a week for the past 6 months working on my 63.5, and I'm on the final straight. Just door panels, seats and seat belts to go - then fix the issue with the speedo that I've posted on - but I've found that due to the amount of effort to get out there, walk around, swear, fix, get up for tools, get up for a torch, get up to get the tool again etc etc etc that I have lost quite a bit of the extra weight I've been carrying around!!

WIN WIN!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that's the secret huh? Sitting on my butt waiting for it to warm up enough to go out to the shop seems to have the opposite effect or I've found the extra weight you've lost!

I need to get with my upholstery shop and schedule getting the headliner installed, then the front and rear windows and then I'll be able to put it on the road for the summer. After one or two failed projects in my past I've learned that I need to have it driveable when the weather warms up to retain interest. Sounds like you're flying to the finish line!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts