Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas gauge does not work. How do i check if its the sender or gauge.Also can the sender be removed from tank without dropping the tank. 63 1/2 2 door 390 4 speed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
to check, pull the wire off the sender and ground it. gauge should show full. if so ,reconnect and use a piece of wire to go from the sender ground connection to a known good ground. i've seen the tank have a bad ground.
you have to drop the tank at least partly to remove the sender

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. what voltage regulator and were is it. I removed voltage regulator for the generator when installed alternator.Did i need to keep voltage regulator? the temp gauge was not working .installed aftermarket temp gauge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Doesn't the original (behind dash) VR bounce between hi-low voltage and the gauges see an average VDC? Considerations when replacing with a modern VR?

Yes sender can be removed with tank in place, at worst just loosen brackets as much as possible for wiggle room.

I added additional ground to the fuel line itself which is mounted at frame in several locations and had low resistance on my multimeter.

If replacing the sender, consider linear vs. non-linear senders and aftermarket gauges. That's what opened my can of worms now have 4 Autometer gauges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts