Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some reading on here but still could use some help. I just replaced my 2 barrel with a 4 barrel set up. I am using an offenhauser intake with a summitt brand 600cfm carb. I also have an e fan which was on the car when I got it. I was driving the car for the first time yesterday going to my first show withe galaxie. While on the highway the temps starting getting up to the 230 range. I noticed that the coolant was coming out of the overflow tank. I have switched out the radiator cap and I do not have a T stat since there is no heat for the car. Also the intake did not have an indentation like the my stock intake had for the T stat. This type of motor is all new to me so I am still learning. I will be tearing into it on Monday so I figure I could get some ideas on where to start. Thank for any help on this issue. JIMMY

·
Registered
344 Posts
Jimmy, This is a common mistake. You need to run a thermostat irrespective of heater or not. The stat keeps the coolant in the block long enough to transfer the heat to the fluid before running through radiator. It actually helps keep the engine cooler Instal first, then test for any other issues. What was in there originally 160, 180, 185, etc...?

Wait.. the intake has no provision for thermostat? Is it a race only intake?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that i am aware of. I noticed that on the new intake that mounting area for the thermostat is smooth unlike my stock intake which had an indention for the thermostat. Could i still use a stat or will it jot seal correctly.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Some thermostat housings have an indent and some do not ... I assume the ones that do are for this type of situation where the intake doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts