Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Can somebody please tell me the correct Original Autolite Battery number/letter for a 63.5 Galaxie

Thanks, larry

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Can somebody please tell me the correct Original Autolite Battery number/letter for a 63.5 Galaxie

Thanks, larry

If Kult ever gets back on he probably can. I am sure others has the same info tho...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MrO, i'll just keep an eye out, and wait for someone to post the answer for me

larry

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is a group 27F battery, unless you are looking for the part number which I don't have.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
HOLEY SMOKES... Hope he is sitting down.... ;) Altho it does look neat to have a period correct looking battery.....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
HOLEY SMOKES... Hope he is sitting down.... ;) Altho it does look neat to have a period correct looking battery.....
I thought he might get a big charge out of the site...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone, Thanks for your responses,

The fella i bought the Galaxie from, has contacted me and told me he has come across a brand new, never used, still in the original cardboard box Autolite Battery, that he thinks he bought for the Galaxie, He told me to find the details and if it is the correct battery for the car, i can have it,

Thanks, larry

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
If you don't need an authentic classic battry, do a search on "auto battery 27F"

They are available. (I'm in the battery market also.)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Larry, see if you can get a picture of it and post it up.
Maybe some details too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi everyone, Thanks for your responses,

The fella i bought the Galaxie from, has contacted me and told me he has come across a brand new, never used, still in the original cardboard box Autolite Battery, that he thinks he bought for the Galaxie, He told me to find the details and if it is the correct battery for the car, i can have it,

Thanks, larry
Wonder if it will still hold charge?

Autolite group Number SV-29NF
66 plate 55 amp

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Wonder if it will still hold charge?

Autolite group Number SV-29NF
66 plate 55 amp

My understanding is if its dry charged and has never had electrolyte put in they have a basic indefinite shelf life. Maybe an old timers tale but thats been my understanding. Of course IF it IS NOS without the acid, I think i would put the acid in, let it set for 6-10, then trickle charge it overnight. (battery-tender etc)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
My understanding is if its dry charged and has never had electrolyte put in they have a basic indefinite shelf life. Maybe an old timers tale but thats been my understanding. Of course IF it IS NOS without the acid, I think i would put the acid in, let it set for 6-10, then trickle charge it overnight. (battery-tender etc)
Either use it as suggested or 1) save it for a dedicated restoration, or 2) EVIL-BAY it.

Being a dry BAT, chances are it will take and hold a charge.

27F is HD while 29N is STD. 55A is low by today's standards. Do you still have a GEN?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Assembly line battery's were chosen according to options or lack of.

Lincoln and Mercury 430 & 406 from 1960 to 63 were using already using a larger capacity battery, where the 427 Ford Line (Galaxie) moved to a larger battery in 65.

And really the only way to be sure what battery your car came with is the build sheet.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
And have heard tell that the T-Bolts used the huge tractor battery in the trunk...
(believe they were Group 8D or something)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts