Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did police interceptor engines come in the 1963 Thunderbird, I have a engine C3AE-6015-E, the man I bought it from said he removed it from a 1963 Thunderbird.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, I have not tore it down, the engine will not turn, trying to soak the cylinders in penetrating oil.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I don't know, I have not tore it down, the engine will not turn, trying to soak the cylinders in penetrating oil.
Pull one valve cover off, it will have adjusters on the rockers, if it doesn't, its a hydraulic version

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the valve cover off, it is the hydraulic version, C1AE-6090A on heads, C3AE9425B on intake, 4 barrel Holley

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have read they converted to hydraulic, I read the Police Interceptors went hydraulic 1963.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pistons have a round indention in the center of the top, it is about 1 1/2 round, I don't know if this is standard for a 1963 390.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure what it is, I tried measuring the cylinder with a tape measure, with the tape the opening measured 4 1/8, I know this is not how it is done, but it is all I have to work with.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I wouldn't expect much, do you have 2 bolt motor mount pads or 4? Can you see any numbers or letter on the crank? Is there any kind of weight on the flex plate? Casting numbers on the heads or block?

I do a ton of FE Ford, sounds like you have the original 390, except for the measuring of the cylinders that sound like 428, but a tape measure between 4.05 and 4.125 is tough to do, keep the info coming

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The motor is stuck, I have been working on trying to free it, I removed the head on the drivers side, there is one piston on the down stroke, Measured from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder, it measured 3 3/4, there is a piston almost at the top, it is a 1/4 from the top, the piston has a notch on the top edge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When a piston makes its full stroke upwards, is it flush with the top of the cylinder?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The block casting is C3AE-6015-E, the heads are C1AE-6090A, intake C3AE9425B, intake 2l20, November 20,1962.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Well, it can't be a 428 if a 2 bolt block, my guess is that it's a worn 390, everything lines up as the original 390 T-bird engine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I removed the flywheel, looking for a marking, it has a 2 on the rear of the block on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I think it's the stock 390 out of the car, only other thing could be a 406 block that was bolted in, but really wouldn't make sense

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I think you are over-exploring this engine, FEs generally use an earlier main cap with the block, no big deal. It's just a nice early block. Is there something you are trying to accomplish with all the numbers? This is just a normal-normal early engine, they are decent for cores, but nothing overly special. Last set of C1AE-A heads I paid 20 bucks each for, last early block I took for free because nobody wants 2 bolt motor mount blocks. If you have a use, great core assuming it isn't bored to death, but nothing special

1 - 20 of 26 Posts