Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have a 1962 Galaxie 500, 352 automatic, I wanted to upgrade it a bit, it is all original, I have owned it 25 years, the guy I bought the engine from said it came out of a 1963 390 Thunderbird, 50,000 miles on it, he was a really nice guy, but people will tell you anything, I don't know much about motors, kinda like buying a pig in a poke, I was trying to determine if it was a 390 by identifying the numbers, there is not a lot of information on C3AE-6015-E CASTING, I did not want to end up with another 352, the engine is stuck and I have not been able to check the stroke, I thought maybe by the numbers someone could help identify if it is a 390, if it is a 390 I am going to store it until things get back to normal, I talked to a guy that builds engines for racing teams, he said in the winter months they have time to work on street engines, thank you'll for the information , it helps, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I am hanging with you, but unfortunately without crank or connecting rod numbers we can't tell you much.

Crank casting will ID a 3.78 or 3.50 crank, connecting rod numbers will ID a 6.49 (390) or 6.54 (352) connecting rod. Take it apart!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The distributor is stuck, I can not budge it, I have been soaking it in PB Blaster, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
They can be tough if old, gently work with 2 pry bars. If that doesn't work, you can try pulling the intake with the distributor in it. Doesn't help if it's stuck in the block. You could also pull the pan and oil pump and use a long drift that fits into the oil pump shaft shot and/or see if you can reach the body from the bottom, I don't think you can. Last would be pulling the front cover and soaking through the access hole for the distributor oil galley, and maybe even prying from that hole

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, thanks so much, I was able to read the numbers on a rod C3AE-C, bolts appear to be 3/8.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts