Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im helping out a freind on a restomod hes got a 63 fairlane 2 door with a seized up 260 v8 iv got a 5.0 originally out of a 1993 mustang but its in my recently written off f150 and we want to put it in to the fairlane other than the wireing for the ecu what all would be involved

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The motor mounts from the 260 may not bolt to the 302. May need modified. My buddy and I took some mounts from a 63 0r 64 Fairlane and the bolt holes spacing was different at the block.

You will need fuel supply and return lines and a efi fuel pump if your going efi.

Jet

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you are keeping the 5.0 Timing cover it will have to be drilled out for front sump dipstick tube so the front sump oil pan can be swapped, water pump has outlet on wrong side radiator will have to be swapped or modified.

Or you can block off the fuel pump mount and use the old style timing cover and water pump.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I too thought this was a simple plug & play aside from the trans upgrade to 6 bolt & driveshaft.

What 5.0 would present the least amount of fab work. My 289 is looking for a replacement. Locally I've seen the mid 70's 351W & 5.0 FI (which I don't care for the FI part) going for reasonable coin.

Sorry bout the hyjack.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
What 5.0 would present the least amount of fab work. My 289 is looking for a replacement.
The simplest approach is to strip the EFI engine to the long block stage, and replace the parts with the equivalent from your old engine. Note a couple bumps in the road - the cam eccentric (to drive the fuel pump) must also be transferred, and the balancer and flexplate/flywheel must be replaced with new aftermarket 50-ounce balance versions that will fit your pulleys and transmission. 302/5.0L engines have had the new balance factor since 1980. Not a big deal, but must be done. All 351W had the same 28-ounce balance (like early 302s) for their entire production.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts