Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a 63 Fairlane 500 project car. The seller has a differential from a 68 comet that he says will bolt up. Does anyone know if it is a simple bolt in or would it need to be modified?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Measure the center-to-center distance between your rear leaf springs. If the c-to-c distance between the spring mounts on the axle housing, it will bolt right in.

Now if you are just talking about the differential carrier (center section, pumpkin, chunk, etc.) 9 inch should work in 9 inch housings. Same with 8 inch. No mix and match. The spline counts may be different.

To further complicate things, if you are referring to the differential within the carrier, they need to use the same bearing size.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Are you switching out Fairlane's rear end because the stock rear is shot or?
Anyway, if the Comet is an 8" also, the center is an easy switch
The 70's & up 8" centers ,at least the Mustang 70 up 8" are a little stronger than the stock 62-65 Fairlanes, notice the extra ribbing on the housing. I did this on my 63;s, switched the center to a 70 stangs for the extra ribbing/strength (for what thats worth) but manily, the 70 Mustang 8" had 3:55's up from the little F;lanes 2:80's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually, there is no rear end in the car at this time; the rear of the car is sitting on blocks. If the old one was there I could just measure and look.What I would need to do is put in the entire assembly.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Oh, i see, i have the stock 8" out of a 62, with 3:55;s which were an option, trouble is , to ship from me in Caanda to you would be silly cost
Cheaper to pull an Explorer 8.8" or even a late mustang 8.8" & bolt it in the old girl, its a very simple swap really. My first 63 i used an 8.8" out of a T-coupe with 2 right side Ranger, no wait a minute, Bronco axles & weleded on spring perches. shortened the long side by 1.75"
Jeez, maybe it would be chaeper to ship you my 8", just for conversation sake, send me you postal, or Zip code & i'll figure shipping to you!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Ford Rear Axle Information

I'm not responsible for incorrect information
but this should be a help to most of you.

Nine Inch Rear Axle
66-71 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks.
67-73 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars.
77-81 Lincoln Versailles.

Width: all measurements are flange to flange
67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane = 59.25 inches
65-66 Mustang = 57.25 inches
67-70 Mustang = 59.25 inches
57-59 Ranchero and station wagon = 57.25 inches
77-81 Versailles = 58.50 inches
1957-64 Ford = 57.25 inches

The 31 spline axle rears are the best to have but you will
only find them in the 289 H.P.,427,428 Fairlanes.
Even the 390 GT Fairlanes only had the 28 spline axles.

This info is on Woodys Fairlane site, hope it helps.

I've got a 8" rear from a 64 Fairlane, if your close to Indiana?

Jet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer, but I think I've located one local. It figures, after I think I'm going to have modify one, one shows up practically in my backyard! Now I just have to decide if I want to get the fairlaine or a 63 Ford 300 I've been looking at. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.