Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im back with more questions for my 63HT. my fairlane has a 289 from a 65 mustang. its got an aluminum edelbrock intake and edelbrock carb and factory cast iron headers (are these actually headers??). its not a hipo 289 so its not really fast. it does have brand new dual exhaust and mufflers and sounds very nice.... however, id like to put a bigger cam in it. I love the lopey idle of a nice cam and id also appreciate the added power in the low end that a mild cam will produce. i have a general idea of what i need and want but was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction and give me some warnings or advice or any other help that u might have...FYI, this car will be mainly a weekend cruiser and a once or twice a week driver to work. I dont plan on taking it to the track unless i just get really bored, so really all i am looking for is that nice lopey "hot-rod" sounding idle and a little more performance. even tho the car will not be a consistant daily-driver, i would like to be able to drive it anywhere and everyday should i choose to. dont want anything that makes it diffcult to drive and definately dont want anything that requires any kind of periodic maintenance that i hear some big cams require. also, how do you guys feel about installing a cam and lifters without removing the engine? i hear it can be done but may not be the best option due to getting oil leaks from removing and replacing the oil pan.... thanks guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You don't have to remove the oil pan to change the cam. What I would do is call comp cams and tell them the specs on the motor and they can set you up with a nice cam, get the kit with the new lifters. Now to change it you have to pull valve covers intake water pump and timing chain cover, it's not that big of a deal should take about 4 hr's

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would not call Comp, instead I would give the old 289 a nice Isky Mega 264. I was given this advice myself once, and has come to learn why.

http://iskycams.com/timingchart.php?product_number=381264

This old-scool flattapped has a 108 degree lobe-separation that gives more mid/top power and a bit loopey idle with the low-end power intact. Only 0.48" lift meaning you can still run the stock valvetrain. More power than a Comp Extreme 266HR at half the price.

A set of Sanderson FF6 shorties and some good flowing mufflers and the old enegine should be able to breath

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I would not call Comp, instead I would give the old 289 a nice Isky Mega 264. I was given this advice myself once, and has come to learn why.
Of course, if the suggested cam does not give him the performance he seeks, you will stand behind your recommendation and reimburse the OP for all costs incurred?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good point Klutz!
You can ask 5 "experts" & get 5 different cam ideas
Do Call Comp tech.guys if only to get a comparison to what you want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pale rider, thanks for the recommendation....i looked at the specs you provided and thats right about what i have been looking at. the duration at .050 is a bit lower than i want, (was wanting something in the 220-230 range)....but the lobe separation is right where i need to be to keep my stock valvetrain. the COMP cams ive been looking at are around 218 and 110 lobe sep. and if i do buy it, i wont hold you accountable lol

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Of course, if the suggested cam does not give him the performance he seeks, you will stand behind your recommendation and reimburse the OP for all costs incurred?
Like he said he's talking from experience which is worth a lot more to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts