Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change the front leaf spring bushings on my 63 Fairlane. The bolt that goes thru the bushing can't be removed unless the mounting bracket that is attached to the frame is also removed (it hits the frame). I am concerned about removing this bracket. Does anyone know what the mounting bolts are threaded into? There is no access to the nut side of the bolts. Is there a plate or something inside the frame that is welded into place? Has anyone removed this mounting bracket or did this before that can advise me?
All help appreciated.
Mike Chicago area

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to change the front leaf spring bushings on my 63 Fairlane. The bolt that goes thru the bushing can't be removed unless the mounting bracket that is attached to the frame is also removed (it hits the frame). I am concerned about removing this bracket. Does anyone know what the mounting bolts are threaded into? There is no access to the nut side of the bolts. Is there a plate or something inside the frame that is welded into place? Has anyone removed this mounting bracket or did this before that can advise me?
All help appreciated.
Mike Chicago area
Thanks so much for your reply. I can't see how it is attached. The bracket is attached to the side of the frame with 4 or so bolts entering the frame member. The bracket has never been removed and the bolts are in very bad condition. As I said the bolt that goes thru the front of the leaf spring bushing cannot be be removed because of its length approx 4" long. It hits the side of the frame which is about 2" from the mounting bracket. I therefor cannot remove the leaf spring. I will attempt to get a picture and post it. Someone out there has surely ran into this problem. Possibly I am making a big deal out of nothing but I am concerned about this.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find. My 63 Meteor is sagging in the back and needs new springs too. I saw the same fittings under the Merc and am apprehensive about trying to turn them out too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep us posted on what you find. My 63 Meteor is sagging in the back and needs new springs too. I saw the same fittings under the Merc and am apprehensive about trying to turn them out too.
Today I took a closer look at the bracket and bolts. It appears to me that I could cut the existing leaf spring bolt off and remove it. I than think I could install a new one putting the nut towards the frame side ( opposite what the current one is). What do you think Mercury4me? Someone out there has run into this problem all we need to do is get their attention.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Today I took a closer look at the bracket and bolts. It appears to me that I could cut the existing leaf spring bolt off and remove it. I than think I could install a new one putting the nut towards the frame side ( opposite what the current one is). What do you think Mercury4me? Someone out there has run into this problem all we need to do is get their attention.
Might work. Maybe have to cut it twice if it is too long to knock all the way out after the first cut. IDK how much clearance is there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is only 1 1/2" clearance between the frame and surface of the mount. You are correct it would need to be cut at least twice. I looked at it closely today and see no reason why the bolt can't be reversed.
It may be a week or so before I get around to doing this but I will let you know how it goes. I greatly appreciate your feedback. If you get any additional info let me know.
I looked at the picture of your Merc, very nice. My Fairlane needs some floor repair which I am working on. It is a 2 door Sport Coupe with factory six.
Mike Chicago area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a very close look at the mounts and bolts on my Fairlane today. I was able to remove one of the nuts on the bolts that goes thru the spring into the bushing and slide the bolt somewhat towards the frame (it of course will not come out). So here is what we have. The bolts that goes thru the bushing is a specality item. The bolts shaft is approx 3/4" however the thread end has been machined down and is approx 1/2". The bolts cannot be reversed as I once thought, it will only go in from the way it was installed. The hole on the mount, frame side is larger than the opposite side to accept the larger shaft of the bolt. The hole in the replacement bushing is also approx 3/4" Note that the hole in the opposite side of the frame is a saucer shaped washer. May be replaceable with a special retro fit was of some sort. So its back to the drawing board. I tried to take pictures of this but they are not good enough to show this detail. Mercury4me is likely the only one that could easily understand this. Sorry to those that may be following this thread. This remains a problem. I am continuing to ponder this issue. Looking for conversation on the issue.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm restoring a 63 Fairlane 500, removed the entire rear-end, front leaf spring brackets came off easy enough. From there it's remove and replace.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would loosen the shock frame mounts as much as you can and see if it will wiggle in. If not, loose the shock and drop the spring to frame mount completely off if necessary to install the spring eye bolt. Once the spring bolt is attached, reattach mount to frame. Don’t completely tighten up the bolts, once everything matches up in place tighten and torque to specs. Reattach shock. Hope that this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone offering help/advise.
This is what I ended up doing. I loosened the bolt on the bushing enough so that I could push the bolt head towards the frame. I than cut the head off with a sawsall and slid the bolt out, removed the leaf spring and took the old bushing out. The bolt to my surprise was threaded 5/8 for approx 1 1/2 inches and than increased to a 13/16 diameter (no threads on this part). So I was faced with a problem, the inside of the replacement bushing was 13/16 so a new 5/8 bolt was sloppy inside the new bushing. I needed a filler sleeve so I took a piece of 1/2" conduit ran a 5/8 drill thru it (very easy minimal about of metal removed). A new 5/8 x 5" bolt fit inside the conduit very nicely and the conduit fit inside the new bushing (I did need to dress the conduit up a little on the grinder) the end result was a perfectly fitted sleeve inside the new bushing). I lubed everything up with marine grease and assembled.
This may all seem a little nuts but it worked for me and I am very confident in the final result. I therefor did not remove the leaf spring mount to the frame.
I hope this helps someone in some way. As I have said before I was very concerned about removing the mounting bracket. The frame on my car is reasonably solid but it does have issues. I have replaced about 16" s of it at the rear where it connects to the rear cross member that runs just below the bottom of the trunk lid and across entire width of the car.
I close and thank everyone for suggestions.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you run into any other issues, I have the 62-64 Ford Fairlane manual. When I did replace all my stock suspension stuff, I went to Eaton spring who carries the exact stock Fairlane, Falcon & Merc. suspension parts.
I went with Heavy duty 2.5" dropped coils & 2" dropped rear leafs. she rode.drove really nice, but stock.
Since then have gone to Control Freaks suspension.
Eaton have all the specs. from Ford to reproduce all this stuff, very well made & their website offers up all kinds of good info.
Good Luck
Roy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts