Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change the front leaf spring bushings on my 63 Fairlane. The bolt that goes thru the bushing can't be removed unless the mounting bracket that is attached to the frame is also removed (it hits the frame). I am concerned about removing this bracket. Does anyone know what the mounting bolts are threaded into? There is no access to the nut side of the bolts. Is there a plate or something inside the frame that is welded into place? Has anyone removed this mounting bracket or did this before that can advise me?
All help appreciated.
Mike Chicago area

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to change the front leaf spring bushings on my 63 Fairlane. The bolt that goes thru the bushing can't be removed unless the mounting bracket that is attached to the frame is also removed (it hits the frame). I am concerned about removing this bracket. Does anyone know what the mounting bolts are threaded into? There is no access to the nut side of the bolts. Is there a plate or something inside the frame that is welded into place? Has anyone removed this mounting bracket or did this before that can advise me?
All help appreciated.
Mike Chicago area
Thanks so much for your reply. I can't see how it is attached. The bracket is attached to the side of the frame with 4 or so bolts entering the frame member. The bracket has never been removed and the bolts are in very bad condition. As I said the bolt that goes thru the front of the leaf spring bushing cannot be be removed because of its length approx 4" long. It hits the side of the frame which is about 2" from the mounting bracket. I therefor cannot remove the leaf spring. I will attempt to get a picture and post it. Someone out there has surely ran into this problem. Possibly I am making a big deal out of nothing but I am concerned about this.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find. My 63 Meteor is sagging in the back and needs new springs too. I saw the same fittings under the Merc and am apprehensive about trying to turn them out too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep us posted on what you find. My 63 Meteor is sagging in the back and needs new springs too. I saw the same fittings under the Merc and am apprehensive about trying to turn them out too.
Today I took a closer look at the bracket and bolts. It appears to me that I could cut the existing leaf spring bolt off and remove it. I than think I could install a new one putting the nut towards the frame side ( opposite what the current one is). What do you think Mercury4me? Someone out there has run into this problem all we need to do is get their attention.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today I took a closer look at the bracket and bolts. It appears to me that I could cut the existing leaf spring bolt off and remove it. I than think I could install a new one putting the nut towards the frame side ( opposite what the current one is). What do you think Mercury4me? Someone out there has run into this problem all we need to do is get their attention.
Might work. Maybe have to cut it twice if it is too long to knock all the way out after the first cut. IDK how much clearance is there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is only 1 1/2" clearance between the frame and surface of the mount. You are correct it would need to be cut at least twice. I looked at it closely today and see no reason why the bolt can't be reversed.
It may be a week or so before I get around to doing this but I will let you know how it goes. I greatly appreciate your feedback. If you get any additional info let me know.
I looked at the picture of your Merc, very nice. My Fairlane needs some floor repair which I am working on. It is a 2 door Sport Coupe with factory six.
Mike Chicago area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts