Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New member to the forum. I've been a Mustang guy for years and just recently went a little further back and snagged a '63 Fairlane 2 door coupe.

The car desperately needed tires and the older GT wheels on it are rusted pretty badly. I want to go ahead and make the leap into getting some 17" wheels and tires. The whole backspacking/offset thing has kind of like been Algebra w/ Trig to me (AKA, VERY hard to understand ha!). Can anyone enlighten me on what size 17" wheel/tire combo I can use on the '63 'Lane? I know it's been done, there are pictures everywhere and rumors swirl on the net of a certain combo that doesn't require rolling fenders.

I'd be appreciative of any help. THANKS!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you go to the search box and type in "backspace" you will get some information. Backspace is measured by starting with the pretty side face down, lay a straight edge across the top and measure down to the WMS. This is your backspace measurement in inches. I wouldn't even mess with the offset millimeter stuff, that will confuse you.

My 17" wheels should be showing up any day now.

For the front I ordered a 17x7 with a 4.25" backspace. I have the granada front disc brakes and I'm not sure if this mod spaces my wheels in or out from stock (probably out if anything). I used the wheels that are on it now (15x7 with 3.5" backspace) and some measuring along with searching forums and so on to come up with this backspace choice. I'm going with either a 215/45/17 or maybe a 225/45/17 tire for the front.

For the rear I wanted to get as wide of tire of possible without having rubbing issues. I decided on a 255/45/17. In order to fit this tire without rolling your lips you need to center it in the wheel house which means your backspace has to be nuts on. I again used a test wheel along with careful measuring and the forum search to choose a backspace. I finally settled on a 17x8 with a 5" backspace. Important note, I have installed a narrowed Explorer rearend in my '64. My WMS to WMS measurement is 56.5" compared to the stock 8" rear of 57.375". If I had the original rear I would probably be going with a 5.5" backspace. Always remember, if you're going to error always error on the too much backspace side rather than not enough. Although not a great idea, you can use spacers to space the wheels out a bit.

Another note....I do not have my wheels yet so I will post the fitment results soon. Hope this helps. Doug

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I;m running 16"s with 5" backspace on the front, which is a pretty safe backspace for a F'lane with the Granada set up
With my Wilwood discs, i had to use a spacer to clear the calipers
Rears, for a stock 8" i think stock is as Doug says, around 4"-4.5"
I;m running a T-coupe 8.8" so not much help to you, my rears are 16 x 9's
Best if you just ask on every Fairlane forum you can,
for sure there are guys over at Fairlane Club of America site running 17's

·
Registered
67 Posts
Roger,

I was curious if you are running the Willwood stuff on Granada spindles or stock spindles. Is it just Willwood calipers or the rotor and all? Thanks, Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts