Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..New guy with a street/strip sprint. (11.70 at 120 mph) soft 1.8 60 ft on ET streets. It has the Borg Warner T10 25" spline unit so really can't leave hard or do any sprited shifting for fear of breaking it. Don't ask me how I know this.... Does anyone know of a 4 speed conversion that locates the shifter in the same position on a sprint? I know I can convert to a Top Loader or Jericho but that would require cutting the floor which I prefer not to do.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
You can get toploaders with either the right tailhousing (very rare original, but Im pretty sure they repop 'em now) to mount the shifter forward or use a bracket to mount it forward. I say hack the crossmember so the shifter is in a decent position, then make a stronger trans support.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
It's a little pricey but the tail housings are available:

DKT Tailhousing

And so are the Hurst shifters with the install / linkage kit:

Hurst Competition Plus Shifters

I used to have a T10 and built myself a Toploader 20 years ago. For me the trans staying in gear and never popping out was worth it, and the durability is gravy. With the shifter in front where it will come through your floor correctly, the shifter linkage arms are very short and flex resistant. Get the Pit Pack and Backup Light Switch at the bottom of the Hurst link as well.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I pound on my T10 daily. I upgraded the synchro assemblys to the super T10 units from Cajun Jon Enterprises. Tons of new and used parts and good knowledge too. Trans does not pop out of 2nd any more and downshifts way better. I like my close ratio T10

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replys and suggestions. Re the DK housing suggestions. The DKT housing sounds promising. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts