Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my attempt to get my front turn signals working I've found that not only are the lamp sockets unserviceable but the whole housing on both sides are so badly corroded that the only thing salvageable are the lenses. I've been looking for some time now trying to find replacement housings in anticipation of this situation with no luck. Am I not looking in the right place? Are they truly not available? What was your solution if you ran into this same situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
In my attempt to get my front turn signals working I've found that not only are the lamp sockets unserviceable but the whole housing on both sides are so badly corroded that the only thing salvageable are the lenses. I've been looking for some time now trying to find replacement housings in anticipation of this situation with no luck. Am I not looking in the right place? Are they truly not available? What was your solution if you ran into this same situation. Thanks!
Not on a 63 Galaxie, but on "other" cars with the same problem,
I have cut the socket off the housing and then filed/cut, or otherwise mangled the housing to accept replaceable sockets.

Sandblast the housing to clean it up, and painting or chroming the housing to make it look nice and slow down future corrosion.

Got pics of your housings? Are they really that far gone?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
yeah i was in the same situation..
only finding old corroded junk..
so i decided to go a different route ..

i used LED trailer light... they fit like a glove..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not on a 63 Galaxie, but on "other" cars with the same problem,
I have cut the socket off the housing and then filed/cut, or otherwise mangled the housing to accept replaceable sockets.

Sandblast the housing to clean it up, and painting or chroming the housing to make it look nice and slow down future corrosion.

Got pics of your housings? Are they really that far gone?

Yeah I think they're that far gone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a set of 1963 galaxie parking light housings for sale no corrosion call george 406-5432591

I'll give you a call in a day or so.

yeah i was in the same situation..
only finding old corroded junk..
so i decided to go a different route ..

i used LED trailer light... they fit like a glove..

I LOVE this solution!! Will definitely be looking into it, simple and innovative and easily sourced and improving on the factory at the same time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well apparently the opening in the bumper for the turn signals is a little taller in the 64 than they are in the 63:crying: but alas I've been in contact with a fellow forum member and he has what I need so all is well.:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts