Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter about the position of the fuse box? My experience tells me that the fuse box is mounted to the light switch in a position that allows easy removal or access to the individual fuses without removing the fuse box proper. Looking at our 63 futura convertible the fuse box is positioned facing the left of the dash instead of pointing down. I can read the FoMoCo part stamping and expect it to be original, but expect it has been removed and reinstalled in the past. I'm chasing a problem with power to the dash lights. Bulbs and 1amp in line fuse are good but no power through the in line fuse. Gonna remove the light switch/rheostat and fuse panel anyway to check but was just wondering about the positioning. BamaBrown.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does it matter about the position of the fuse box? My experience tells me that the fuse box is mounted to the light switch in a position that allows easy removal or access to the individual fuses without removing the fuse box proper. Looking at our 63 futura convertible the fuse box is positioned facing the left of the dash instead of pointing down. I can read the FoMoCo part stamping and expect it to be original, but expect it has been removed and reinstalled in the past. I'm chasing a problem with power to the dash lights. Bulbs and 1amp in line fuse are good but no power through the in line fuse. Gonna remove the light switch/rheostat and fuse panel anyway to check but was just wondering about the positioning. BamaBrown.

I'm pretty sure there is a keyway on the switch to position it and keep it from spinning when you turn the shaft. You could defeat the system by positioning it the way you want and torquing down the mount... but I personally would put it in the way the Ford engineers designed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As for your other problem... you are on the right track. The circuit runs from the light switch through the fuse and into one connector. Check the switch side of the fuse with a volt meter to see if it gets that far. If not, it is a good sign the switch is bad. If you have the confidence to disassemble the switch you might be able to fix it. Do you have this wiring diagram?

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again. I have the problem nailed down to the switch. Getting a new one on the way. Should have it this afternoon. I'll let yall know what I find as soon as I get it. I do have the diagram but thanks for the attachment. Of all the things I love about the Falcons the wiring is the least enjoyable. I've had these switches out before but this one seemed to be mounted wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts