Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is what I assume to be an aftermarket AC system installed on my 352, but it didnt have a belt on. Anyone have an idea why it would be left unhooked? is there any chance the old generator/voltage regulator aren't suited?

I know I could just hook it up and see what happens, but I did that with the "unhooked" power steering and found out the hard way that the control valve was installed wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
That is the same set up "SnoWhite" has on it and a select air under the dash.
I put a belt on it , hooked up the wire , turned it on and I could see air bubbles in the little window. It seem to be cool air coming from the unit. I didn't want to risk fffffn anything up . I took the belt off until I can get some Freon in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Looks factory to me.... Does the pulley free wheel? if so you can try a belt then go from there... I am sure its not a charged system but you still need to check for working of the components if you are thinking of A/C again.... There are LOTS of ppl here to help...

Welcome to the board....

MRO.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, so.. yep, I guess ill try find someone to gas it then stick a belt on and try it...then get it leak tested etc...
what could possibly go wrong..... right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, whats the story with R12 in the US? available but stupidly expensive? or not available at all. and, has anyone converted their system to 134a? something tells me the $30 "as seen on TV" conversion kit doesnt work quite as well as the dork advertiser suggests. or am I mistaken?

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
at $15 a small can, R134 aint cheap, either! search ebay to price Freon and a hose.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
R12 was found to cause earthquakes in California so they banned it through out the world. Surprised it wasn't cancer?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used ''freeze 12''
most of the conversions seem to just be a bunch of adapters for the nozzles and thats it..Is that all there is to it? sounds too easy, I guess its not as cold or efficient as a system designed to use 134 probably.

Im thinking the freeze 12 is worth a shot first.

Why should I retrofit an R-12 system with Freeze 12 instead of R-134a?
1. Freeze 12 will cool better than R- 13 4a in most retrofit applications.
2. Freeze has a pressure curve which is close to R-12 while R-134a operates at significantly higher pressures than R- 12.
3. Freeze 12 works with the existing mineral oil and does not require lubricant replacement as R-134a does.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL ok fair point.. however.. what about the 15 Gallons of flammable liquid topped off with volatile explosive vapours that Im carrying about under the trunk? thats ok is it? LOL :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts